The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:33am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Random DC Voltage Source Simulation help needed (Read 11209 times)
Tanvir

Random DC Voltage Source Simulation help needed
Feb 14th, 2014, 8:30pm

Hi there,

I am trying to simulate mismatch in a 10 bit D/A converter and unfortunately my PDK does not support Monte Carlo Simulation.

At least to simulate the threshold voltage mismatch I am trying to create a voltage source or a set of voltage sources  which will generate random voltage each time I run the transient simulation in Cadence Spectre ADE.

Then I can connect the bias node to the variable source and then to the gate of the current source to observe the threshold voltage effect.

It is a bit urgent for me to come up with the idea to do this. It would be great if you could advice me how can I do this in Verilog A to run it in Cadence ADE?

Regards,

Tanvir

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Random DC Voltage Source Simulation help needed
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2014, 12:52am

Create an include file called (say) stats.scs containing:

statistics {
  process {
    vary mydc dist=gauss std=1u
  }
}

Then have your voltage source in your schematic with a dc value of "mydc". In ADE you'll end up with a Design Variable called mydc - set the value of that to the mean value you want (the 1u in the file above is the standard deviation, so set that to what you want). Use Setup->Model Libraries to include the stats.scs file.

Then in ADE XL (if in IC61X) set the run mode to Monte Carlo, or if in IC5141 you'd do this from ADE via Tools->Monte Carlo.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2014, 10:54am

Hi Tanvir,
Cadence Solution ID 11213354 (see also here) may be helpful for you.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Tanvir

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2014, 3:58am

Hallo,

Thank you very much for your suggestion Andrew and BOE. Sorry for my late reply.

Kind regards,

Tanvir

View Profile   IP Logged
Sherif

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2016, 4:39am

I'm facing the same trouble but I don't need to run an MC simulation. However I want to have, at the end, a voltage source that will generate random values between two limits and with a timestep between each.
I don't know if the method Andrew proposed would work for my case.

What I would do is to generate a file that has time value pairs and give that to the pwlf source. But I don't like this solution, sounds pretty basic. Does anyone have something in mind?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2016, 1:08pm

Andrew's suggestion is for a different situation than what you want.

What's wrong with the pwlf source you suggest?  "basic" isn't "bad" in my book.  Although your situation, where the voltage jumps around, could cause convergence problems, regardless of how you implement it.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Sherif

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2016, 3:34am

Thanks Geoffrey for your input. I have already implemented what I suggested and works. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.