The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:59pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to calculate the Cp between p substrate and deep Nwell? (Read 81 times)
Jacki

How to calculate the Cp between p substrate and deep Nwell?
Apr 18th, 2014, 9:53am

Hello,

I want to estimate the total parasitic capacitance between the p substrate and deep Nwell. In the layout extraction, the design kits only support the diode extraction, but the parasitic capacitance is not well modeled. So I want to roughly calculate the parasitic capacitance. Can anybody recommend some unit cap value? I am using 0.18um CMOS technology.
   Thank you.

Fig2.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Re: How to calculate the Cp between p substrate and deep Nwell?
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2014, 10:31am

By the way, how is the PN junction capacitance (Cj) changed for different CMOS technologies, like from 0.25um CMOS to 65nm CMOS? Is the unit Cj becoming larger for advanced CMOS technology like 65nm CMOS than the old CMOS technology?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2014, 1:12pm

Doesn't the diode extraction include the junction capacitance?  I would expect it to be bias-dependent and change with the VDD applied to the nwell.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2014, 4:17pm

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Apr 22nd, 2014, 1:12pm:
Doesn't the diode extraction include the junction capacitance?  I would expect it to be bias-dependent and change with the VDD applied to the nwell.

Hello Geoffrey_Coram,

Only the devices are modeled with this junction diode, but in the region where MIM cap and guarding ring, it is not modeled. So in the parasitic extration, the total parasitic PN junction cap is not acturate.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2014, 7:34am

Jacki wrote on Apr 23rd, 2014, 4:17pm:
   Only the devices are modeled with this junction diode, but in the region where MIM cap and guarding ring, it is not modeled.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  I think you mean, in the extraction, the junction diode is only extracted under MOSFET devices (I guess it's NMOS in deep nwell).  And the extraction does not include the diode under MIM caps or guard rings.

Do you know the doping level of the psub or dnw?  Can you make some estimates of the capacitance based on the extraction of junction diodes under differently-sized MOS devices?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.