The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ocean memory management (Read 54 times)
danmc
Community Member

Boston
Ocean memory management
Feb 26th, 2015, 9:25am

For quite some time I've had issues where if I use Ocean to iterate over a large number of corners or conditions that it often crashes due to a failed alloc or too many open files.  Anyone else see this or have good workarounds?  

foreach(cfg my_big_big_list_of_conditions_and_corners

mySetupAndRunSim()
 myPostProcessSim()
)

in the post processing, I often write processed data to files using

fp=outfile("some_file")
fprintf(fp, "mydata")
close(fp)

but I *always* include the close().

Also I use printGraph() to make postscript files from various plots along the way.  I've found I do need to close windows when not needed:

awvSetCurrentWindow( myPlotWin )
awvCloseWindowMenuCB()

so I don't open (without closing) a new plot window for every iteration in my big loop.

Thoughts?  I like Ocean over ADE-XL because I find it easier to program both what I want in terms of simulation conditions as well as data post processing but the crashing just kills me.  I've even resorted to iterating with something like perl and launching new ocean jobs for each iteration but that prevents you from combining results from different runs within ocean.

grrrr....

View Profile   IP Logged
danmc
Community Member

Boston
Re: Ocean memory management
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2019, 6:34am

I'll reply to myself.  Turns out some of the waveform processing functions in Cadence have memory leaks in some conditions.  dft() is one of them.  So if the analysis loop does lots of calls to dft(), well, doing more by having the outer loop can make it fail.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.