The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jitter of a VCO+DELAY LINE with SpectreRF (Read 1314 times)
federico.butti

Jitter of a VCO+DELAY LINE with SpectreRF
Sep 30th, 2015, 10:25am

Hello,

I would like to ask to experts what is the best practice to quantify the jitter of a VCO driving a squarer and an inverter delay line.
When I simulate a VCO, I usually calculate phase noise, and calculate the square root of 2 times the integral up to fosc/2, then I divide the results by 2PIfosc. This is the absolute jitter as defined by most literature.

When I simulate an inverter delay line, I usually use the PNOISE JITTER simulation, given that it computes the noise sampled at a given threshold, and then the integrated result is divided by the slope at the threshold.
If I perform the phase noise calculation on the same driven circuits, results are not the same.
I am not sure why.

Here comes the question: what is the best practice when I simulate an autonomous circuit (VCO) loaded with a delay line (driven circuit)?
Phase noise integral or PNOISE jitter at the delay line output?
Or simulating each one and then summing up jitter variances quadratically?

Thanks for the replies!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.