The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why PAC analysis gives me wrong amp gain? (Read 2367 times)
flyingRabbit

Why PAC analysis gives me wrong amp gain?
Jan 6th, 2016, 10:33pm

Hi, all. I'm designing a telescopic amplifier with a switched-capacitor CMFB circuit and just found a strange phenomenon in Spectre PAC analysis.

I made my amp to have a gain of 50, but the PAC results showed me only gain of 4. When I run normal AC simulation by connecting 10Gohm resistors to SC CMFB's capacitors in parallel, I was able to verify that my circuit's gain is 50.

PSS waveforms show similar voltage values to DC analysis. So, I'm really confused which AC analysis is a correct one (PAC or normal AC)?

+) It seems that the below post discusses similar problems as me. But, there's no satisfying solution...

http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1251692728

« Last Edit: Jan 07th, 2016, 7:45am by flyingRabbit »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Why PAC analysis gives me wrong amp gain?
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2016, 9:57am

If you want help you need to actually tell us what you are doing.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
flyingRabbit

Re: Why PAC analysis gives me wrong amp gain?
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2016, 11:43am

Hmm... maybe my explanation on this issue was not enough. The circuit is a double-cascoded telescopic amplifier with nmos input pair. I used a switched-capacitor common-mode feedback circuit and run PSS/PAC simulation to check the dc gain.

However, the dc gain was much lower than I expected and using the ideal CMFB, I was able to get the dc gain as expected.

Actually, I've just found the reason. There was a reset switch that short the output node to ac ground. It was my mistake....

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.