The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:05pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSS not converging for a psuedo differential ring oscillator (Read 2781 times)
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
PSS not converging for a psuedo differential ring oscillator
Dec 20th, 2016, 2:47pm

Hi

I am not sure if anyone of you has faced this issue. I have a three stage inverter based single ended ring oscillator(SRO) which converges if pss is done. Once I connect it to an exact replica to create a psuedo differential ring oscillator(PDRO) using cross coupled resistors, it fails to converge. I'm unsure why this is happening. I found the frequency of oscillation for the oscillator from transients and gave it in the pss. There is no issue with transients for the PDRO. Is there any strange attractor kind of behaviour expected in a PDRO which doesn't exist in SRO helping it achieve limit cycle? Please help. Thank you.

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: PSS not converging for a psuedo differential ring oscillator
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2016, 10:22am

Without seeing the circuit and exactly how it is failing to converge, it's hard to tell. I wonder if you've effectively ended up with two oscillators which are not as coupled in frequency as you think - and maybe they are then operating at (very) slightly different frequencies? If that was the case, PSS wouldn't converge.

That's a wild guess though in the absence of any more information...

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
Re: PSS not converging for a psuedo differential ring oscillator
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2016, 10:45pm

Hi Andrew,

Your prediction was perfectly correct. I had been sweeping my inverter sizes and load cap in order to see the frequency variations. While I checked for the nominal case that the differential outputs were perfectly out of phase, on a closer inspection I found that at higher frequency the resistance was too large to create good coupling that the oscillators were slightly off. This resulted in lower frequencies to pass PSS while higher frequencies to fail. This was only evident after passing them through a set of buffers and looking at the output. Having reduced the resistance, I have been able to do the pss analysis. Thank you very much. Smiley

Regards
Subtr

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.