The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:05am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SPICE Non Linear Capacitor Modeling (Read 1535 times)
HA

SPICE Non Linear Capacitor Modeling
Jan 21st, 2017, 5:06pm

I am trying to define a verilog A element which has a user defined Voltage-charge relationship of the type V=a*Q+b*Q^2 (a and b are user defined constant). The element closest to this is capacitor (V=Q/C) which is straightforward to implement in VA by assigning current using ddt.
Can anybody help which is the best way to implement this system. I am not sure VA handles Q. THanks!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: SPICE Non Linear Capacitor Modeling
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2017, 6:42am

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HA

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2017, 11:08am

Thanks a lot Ken!!
I had actually seen this link before and this is the reason I am here (it was written to post any questions here).
I should have made my question more clear. I am trying to model an element in which we cannot represent charge as an explicit function of voltage. For e.g.,
V=a*Q+b*Q^2+c*Q^4
If i take its derivative, C=dQ/dV----> C=f(Q). Since i cannot express Q explicitly, i cannot write I<+ddt(Q).
Would really appreciate your comment on this.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2017, 1:35pm

Oh, that is interesting. I think you model it as follows:

Code:
real q;
analog begin
    q = idt(I(cap));
    V(cap) <+ f(q);
end 

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HA

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2017, 10:06am

This works like a gem. Thanks for sharing this.  :)
I have one more question. If i connect this element in a ckt, say in series with normal capacitor (C1)...then KCL requires that dQ/dt of both the elements should be same.

C1      C2 (self defined VA based cap)
----||------||------

If my transient signal has no dc level then Q as well as dQ/dt are same on both the capacitors. However, for a signal with an offset or with a dc level, only dQ/dt is same not the absolute charge Q since SPICE forces the middle potential to ground though gdcpath, thereby Q from C*V are different.

What should be the real picture. If someone do measurements on this ckt, will he sees the same? I checked with the simulation that if capacitors are leaky, the node potential equilibrate depending on the leakage resistance of the two capacitors.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.