The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:40am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AMS digital edges model (Read 1765 times)
ocmob

Cracow
AMS digital edges model
May 28th, 2017, 7:56am

Hi,
I know this is a forum for analog designers. Right now i deal with digital design but this is a question considering a property of Cadence AMS simulator.

I am currently designing an adder circuit and I use AMS to connect digital SystemVerilog testbench with transistor level adder schematic. Technology file is UMC180. When I decrease clock period close to 1 ns (clock is generated form SystemVerilog testbench) waveform becomes more and more trapezoidal. (clock edges become less and less steep). The clock is driving two transistor level flops. There I have a question: how does the AMS model a digital SystemVerilog output? Is it an ideal current source with a fixed current? Loading flop input capacitance with constant current would explain this behaviour. What should I do to make the edges more steep - is it even possible?

Thanks for any help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: AMS digital edges model
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2017, 10:02am

This depends on the settings you have chosen for your connect rules (which controls how digital to analog and vice versa is handled). If using ADE, this would be handled via Setup->Connect Rules/IE Card.

I suggest you read the documentation for more details or run through the tutorial - giving a full AMS tutorial here is not really practical!

Kind Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.