The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:55am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Testing a High Speed Differential TIA (Read 3038 times)
repah
Community Member

Testing a High Speed Differential TIA
Aug 09th, 2017, 11:42am

I am designing a broadband amplifier in CMOS - it is a transimpedance amplifier (TIA) - and it is differential (running at 40gb/s with a bandwidth of about 0.7 * 40 gb/s = 28 GHz).

I am wondering about the testing of differential high speed amplifiers using S parameters in the Cadence Spectre ?  What would the test bench look like ?  Would I use a balun ?  

The input is a current from a photodiode since this is for optical applications.

It is a simple shunt feedback TIA but driven differential - I have attached a picture.

difftia.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Testing a High Speed Differential TIA
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2017, 10:21am

The testbench is a simplified model for the 'rest of the circuit' or the circuit with the DUT removed. You are asking about the testbench but showing us the DUT. If you want help on the testbench, you have to tell us about the rest of the circuit. Specifically, how are you going to drive the inputs and load the outputs.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
repah
Community Member

Re: Testing a High Speed Differential TIA
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2017, 5:23pm

Hello,

I am driving it with a photdiode, with an associated capacitance - so that would be a current source.

At the output would be another amplifier stage, most likely a limited amplifier - which is a differential pair - a few stages of differential pairs - for gain.

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.