The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:49am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Warning in Cadence OCEAN (Read 64 times)
cheap_salary

Warning in Cadence OCEAN
Jan 25th, 2018, 4:18am

Sometimes, I encouter following waring in Cadence OCEAN.
Code:
*WARNING* unable to open the mount table for read (errno=13:Permission denied)  

What does this mean ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Warning in Cadence OCEAN
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2018, 10:05am

I've done some searching and as far as I can see, this has never been reported to Cadence before. Looking through the code, on Linux platforms it would be caused by the return value of the OS call setmntent (see "man setmntent") returning NULL, and it would be using this to read the /etc/mtab file to find the mounted volumes.

It suggests that for some reason /etc/mtab is not readable on the machine in question (which is a bit unusual) - would be worth checking that. Perhaps it only happens on some machines and you can check with your IT folks to find out why that is?

The mount tables are read to try to simplify paths - this is used in lots of places (the code that is flagging this warning is in the "virtual operating system" part of the tools which is an interface we have to ensure consistency across different platforms).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sysadmin

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2019, 11:49am

Wanted to share how we got rid of the warning message on our Rhel2.6 server:  
Turned out /etc/fstab was set with SELinux context (ls -l /etc/fstab showed a trailing "." permission bit).  Ran "setfacl -b" and "setfattr -x security.selinux" to remove ACL and SELinux context.  Confirm SELinux is disabled with "sestatus".
Warning message disappeared after the change.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2019, 8:19pm

Subsequent to my original reply a year or so ago, Cadence had a number of reports of this (CCR 1909338 as a reference). It turns out this was due to a defect in glibc, and that was fixed in glibc-2.12-1.209.el6_9.1. A customer confirmed the problem went away when they installed the glibc-2.12-1.209.el6_9.2 RPM.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.