The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:07am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Improve Common Mode Gain PM (Read 2920 times)
kanishxmas

Improve Common Mode Gain PM
Feb 06th, 2018, 9:34pm

Hello guys,

I have a dual stage fully differential amplifier (first stage telescopic, second stage common source) with common mode feedback (CMFB) and it has been biased properly so that all transistors are operating in the "saturation" region.
Below is the response of my Differential Mode gain and phase:

At some point the phase on CM goes beyond 180 as it can be seen from the picture. I am wondering whether you can suggest a couple of things I could do to improve my phase margin? Right now is negative based on the graph.

Thanks

Working_Response_-__CM.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
kanishxmas

Re: Improve Common Mode Gain PM
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2018, 9:35pm

This is the DM response:

Working_Response.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2018, 12:23am

In your second post, where phase is blue and gain is pink you have:

- bandwidth = 849 MHz
- phase margin = 60.29 degrees

So everything is correct.

I do not understand the picture from your 1st post, where phase is red and goes up then down. Gain is yellow.

View Profile   IP Logged
kanishxmas

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2018, 12:55am

Hi Tako, thanks for the reply. The problem I am having is with the first image on my first post. That graph represents the Common Mode gain and phase. I am trying to find ways of fixing the zeros and poles you see on the graph and at the same time I do not want to sacrifice my DM results (the ones shown in the second picture).
I was told I can either change the gm of my differential cascode amplifier tail current or I could increase the "capacitance" of the sense circuit I am using as feedback. I just want to confirm whether this is the correct way of approaching the problem. I pretty much do not want a negative phase margin at 0dB for my CM graph.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2018, 1:10am

Hi kanishxmas,

Absolutely. Now, I get your problem correct:
- DM = Differential Mode
- CM = Common Mode

I am surprised by the plot of CM gain and phase. When I designed CMFB circuit a couple years ago, I had typical "opamp" response. The one like your DM gain and phase.

Typical approach is to increase compensation capacitors Cc of CMFB circuit and this is something I would propose to you to try firstly.

View Profile   IP Logged
kanishxmas

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2018, 9:35pm

The compensation capacitor (Cc) was the game changer (2pF--->6pF). It did help me improve my DM and CM phase margin. Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2018, 2:29am

Great! Happy you solved the problem and notified us here.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.