The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:44am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SAR ADC SNDR degradation due to bins around DC (Read 5803 times)
niloun
Community Member

SAR ADC SNDR degradation due to bins around DC
Mar 25th, 2018, 2:09pm

Hi everyone

I have simulated an SAR ADC with an input sine near the nyquist rate using 128 points and I see several bins around DC which are degrading the SNDR. Would you please tell me what these bins are?

I don't believe that these bins are because of aliasing.

FFT for normalized Frequency:

FFT using bins:

Output of the ADC in the time domain:

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Re: SAR ADC SNDR degradation due to bins around DC
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2018, 9:48am

DC offset or power supply spurs. Given enough bins, I've ignored the first few for offset or maybe you can digitally subtract the mean out. If it is power supply spurs (which will be higher than a few bins, and will be in multiple bins), you need to fix that.

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2018, 10:44am

They appear to be the even order harmonics of the design. Try making it
differential and see if they go away.

Suppose that fin =49MHz for a 100MHz sampling frequency. The second
harmonic is at 98MHz, reflecting down to baseband it becomes -2MHz
(98MHz-100MHz). The function is even so -2MHz becomes 2MHz.

Even Harmonics, near dc and go up: dc (0, offset), 2MHz (2), 4 (4), ...
Odd Harmonics, neat the Nyqvist rate and go down:  49MHz(1), 47MHz(3), ...

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2018, 5:21am

DanielLam wrote on Mar 28th, 2018, 9:48am:
DC offset or power supply spurs. Given enough bins, I've ignored the first few for offset or maybe you can digitally subtract the mean out. If it is power supply spurs (which will be higher than a few bins, and will be in multiple bins), you need to fix that.

Thanks Daniel. I have simulated the same structure with Fin/Fs=0.1, and those bins around DC didn't exist, So my guess is that it is not related to power supply. So as you said it can be DC offset.

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2018, 5:50am

sheldon wrote on Mar 28th, 2018, 10:44am:

Thanks Sheldon for the explanation. It is already a differential structure with Fin around 99 and Fs=200.

Here is the FFT for Fin/Fs=0.1. the bin in 0.2 is big but not that much:

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2018, 9:57am

Is this top plate sampling? Stick an ideal buffer going into the comparator inputs, and let me know if the spurs go away.

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2018, 9:17am

DanielLam wrote on Mar 30th, 2018, 9:57am:
Is this top plate sampling? Stick an ideal buffer going into the comparator inputs, and let me know if the spurs go away.

It is bottom plate sampling. Will adding buffer to the inputs help in the bottom plate sampling too? I think it will add a considerable capacitive load to the array since the unit capacitors are about 10fF.

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2018, 2:48am

sheldon wrote on Mar 28th, 2018, 10:44am:

If it is because of aliasing what is the solution in circuit design? Is it inevitable and I should use anti aliasing filter? or there are ways to solve it in circuit level design?

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2018, 6:40am by niloun »  
View Profile   IP Logged
deba
Community Member

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2018, 11:17pm

Hi,

In the problematic FFT, can you share what is Fin/Fs? Are you sure your signal is on a bin? Are you following coherent sampling?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_sampling

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2018, 12:17am

deba wrote on Apr 1st, 2018, 11:17pm:
Hi,

In the problematic FFT, can you share what is Fin/Fs? Are you sure your signal is on a bin? Are you following coherent sampling?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_sampling

Hi deba. It is a coherent sampling.

For 128 points I have used Fin/Fs=63/128=0.4921875 (Fs=200, Fin=98.4375).

For 1024 points I have used Fin/Fs=511/1024=0.4990234375 (Fs=200, Fin=99.8046875)

I have read some where that there is spectral leakage around DC bin as well as signal bin and the first 6 bins are ignored. However, I am afraid if it is because of aliasing.

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2018, 1:42pm

Ok, if you're unit caps are 10 fF, and you're bottom sampling, and the comparator input is normal, I don't think the ideal buffer (vcvs element in cadence) will do anything. Note, the ideal buffer has no capacitance.

If those are your harmonics (and they are odd), and they seem to be a function of frequency, then I might guess they are coming from your sampling switches. If you used ideal sampling switches, do the harmonics go away?

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2018, 1:01am

DanielLam wrote on Apr 2nd, 2018, 1:42pm:
Ok, if you're unit caps are 10 fF, and you're bottom sampling, and the comparator input is normal, I don't think the ideal buffer (vcvs element in cadence) will do anything. Note, the ideal buffer has no capacitance.

Thanks Daniel. Yes the structure is as you said. Inputs to the comparator are Vcm being sampled via two switches. I know that ideal buffer doesn't have capacitors, I thought that after using a real buffer the parasitic capacitors will cause problem.

If those are your harmonics (and they are odd), and they seem to be a function of frequency, then I might guess they are coming from your sampling switches. If you used ideal sampling switches, do the harmonics go away?

If they are harmonics, they are even harmonics surprisingly(the output is approximately symmetric around the X axis), since I have calculated the frequencies. I will use ideal switches and inform you with the results (It might take a while, I am sorry).

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #12 - Apr 3rd, 2018, 9:55pm

Hi Daniel. Thank you so much. I changed all of the switches into ideal switches and those unwanted bins are gone.

Now the output is even more symmetric about the X axis.

I use this structure for the input switches:

and I use minimum size complementary switches for other parts.

I am going to change the input switches to minimum size switches to see what will happen.

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2018, 12:50am

ExclaimI have an idea of what your problem is. But I want to help you figure it out on your own.

Changing to minimum input sampling switches is never done (I design ADCs for a living). So you can save your time by not doing that.

To become a better designer, you need to get to the problem faster. Stop doing FFT sims for now, they take too long.

Look at the top plate voltages, and find a situation where the ideal switch and your switch mismatch heavily. Why is this happening?
What is causing the voltage drop mismatch?

By the way, do your input waveforms look like the left side picture, or the right side picture?

waveforms.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2018, 11:46am

DanielLam wrote on Apr 4th, 2018, 12:50am:
ExclaimI have an idea of what your problem is. But I want to help you figure it out on your own.

Changing to minimum input sampling switches is never done (I design ADCs for a living). So you can save your time by not doing that.

To become a better designer, you need to get to the problem faster. Stop doing FFT sims for now, they take too long.

Look at the top plate voltages, and find a situation where the ideal switch and your switch mismatch heavily. Why is this happening?
What is causing the voltage drop mismatch?

Thank you so much for the help.

It sounds that the inputs near the full scale show significant difference in two structures. while they act alike near the common mode.

Here is the top plate voltages for two structures near the full scale:
The left diagram is for ideal switches and the right one is for the real switches.

I think the problem is voltage dependent behavior of the switches connected to the comparator which will cause non-linearity. complementary switches were not a good choice and I must have chosen bootstrap switches for the inputs.

DanielLam wrote on Apr 4th, 2018, 12:50am:

By the way, do your input waveforms look like the left side picture, or the right side picture?

I use the left sine waves for the input.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.