The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
non-overlapping clock issue in a SC delta sigma modulator (Read 2046 times)
polyam
Community Member

non-overlapping clock issue in a SC delta sigma modulator
Sep 08th, 2018, 5:21pm

Hi,

I've designed a 2nd order SC delta-sigma modulator to support 10kHz signal bandwidth. The OSR is 256 resulting in a 5.12MHz oversampling frequency. The OTAs used for the integrators are overdesigned to properly settle down even for a 20-MHz oversampling frequency. Just giving some numbers (DC-gain=120dB, UGBW=220MHz, phase margin=64). all switches and quantizer are transistorized.

The fully transistorized modulator perfectly works with a sampling frequency of 5MHz when I apply an IDEAL non-overlapping clock signal. The modulator works also well when I increase the clock frequency to 20 MHz and integrating the noise over 40kHz (OSR still 246) again with an IDEAL non-overlapping clock frequency.

Now here is the problem!!
I replaced the ideal non-overlapping clock signal with a transistorized one. The modulator works well when the master clock is 5.12 MHz. BUT when I increase the master clock to 20MHz, I see a severe SNDR degradation.

Does anyone have any idea to fix this issue? What causes this issue?
(I'll post spectrum in different cases)

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
polyam
Community Member

Re: non-overlapping clock issue in a SC delta sigma modulator
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2018, 5:24pm

When I use an ideal 20MHz non-overlapping clock and BW is 40kHz. The modulator works.

Ideal_clk_20MHz.png
View Profile   IP Logged
polyam
Community Member

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2018, 5:25pm

When I use a transistorized non-overlapping clock signal. Master clock is 5.12MHz and BW is 10 kHz.

real_clk_5MHz.png
View Profile   IP Logged
polyam
Community Member

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2018, 5:26pm

When I use a transistorized non-overlapping clock signal. Master clock is 20 MHz over a BW of 40kHz.

real_clk_20MHz.png
View Profile   IP Logged
polyam
Community Member

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2018, 5:30pm

From my third spectrum, it's kind of weird. It looks like that I have a delay probably in the feedback path. The shape of the spectrum over fs/2 makes me conclude that! But anyway, I didn't change anything in the modulator. Just changing the master clock to 20 MHz and that's it!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.