The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:13am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to understand "kTC" noise? (Read 1465 times)
A Kumar R
Community Member

India
How to understand "kTC" noise?
Oct 18th, 2018, 6:06am

Hi,

I have been going through noise fundamentals and while i was reading about "kTC" noise...they say it is independent of resistor. To some extant this is understandable because the resistor noise is white (meaning uniform across all frequencies) and only C has to play a role to band limit the noise.

what surprises me is that the final equation (you can find this in Razavi noise chapter also), which is sqrt(kT/C) when integrated from 0 to infinity, gives much less noise than you would otherwise get if you were to sum each noise voltage at each frequency in that 0 to infinity band.

i have understood the math of this, but, qualitatively not getting it.

one more thing, when a circuit gives complex impedance at its two ports, then the thermal noise is calculated by looking at the real part of this complex impedance.

my question is that the real part you would get is not physically present in the circuit wheras the noise will be generated from physical resistor right?

why is this so?

Thanks,
Kumar R

View Profile   IP Logged
Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Re: How to understand "kTC" noise?
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2018, 5:16pm

This expression (kT/C - for thermal noise power on a capacitor) is exactly equal to (and derived from) the thermal noise power spectral density on a resistor (4ktRdf) integrated over infinite frequency range.

In a circuit, thermal noise can be generated not only by resistors (intended or parasitic), but by any other element containing a non-zero real part of the complex impedance - such as MOSFET (channel), diode, etc.

This fact - that the noise power spectral density is determined by the real part of the complex impedance - is following from a very general theorem in statistical physics (for systems in thermodynamic equilibrium), called FDT - Fluctuation Dissipation Theorem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluctuation-dissipation_theorem

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.