The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Matrix is singular in switch-cap LC VCO (Read 1232 times)
Mohsenkma

Matrix is singular in switch-cap LC VCO
Nov 18th, 2018, 7:53am

Hello,

I simulate a switch-cap LC VCO in 2.4 GHz. It works well in transient simulation. I let the transient simulation to run for a long time to be sure that oscillation is stable. In PSS simulation with harmonic balance engine, I’ve got this error: Matrix is singular. I’ve tried some solutions: reducing reltol to 1e-6, increasing the number of harmonics to 32, setting the accuracy defaults to conservative and increasing tstab but the problem doesn’t solve. The state of switches doesn’t change during the simulation. Matrix singular error is always detected at the nodes which are connected to a switch. Here is a part of the output log:
   sweeppss-000_pss: time = 48.1 ns     (92.5 %), step = 974.7 fs    (1.87 m%)
   sweeppss-000_pss: time = 50.7 ns     (97.5 %), step = 507.7 fs     (976 u%)
The Estimated oscillating frequency from Tstab Tran is = 2.23231 GHz .
Tstab: runs at least 165 timesteps per cycle,     MaxStep=2.71495e-12

===============================================
`sweeppss-000_pss': time = (52 ns -> 52.448 ns)
===============================================
   sweeppss-000_pss: time = 52.01 ns    (2.54 %), step = 1.044 ps     (233 m%)
   sweeppss-000_pss: time = 52.44 ns    (97.5 %), step = 744.3 fs     (166 m%)

MultiThread info: 7 new work threads created
Pinning node: 274, harm: 1, name: I6.SW41.net19, value: (0.147438, -0.563566)

Notice from spectre during periodic steady state analysis `sweeppss-000_pss', during Sweep analysis `sweeppss'.
   Use new Arnoldi routine

==============================
    Harmonic balance
==============================
Important HB parameters:
   RelTol=1.00e-06
   abstol(I)=1.00e-12 A
   abstol(V)=1.00e-06 V
   ResidualTol=1.00e+00
   LTE_Ratio=3.50e+00
   Steady_Ratio=1.00e+00
   MaxNewtonIter=100

Warning from spectre during periodic steady state analysis `sweeppss-000_pss', during Sweep analysis `sweeppss'.
   WARNING (SPECTRE-16001): Sweep iteration for `Vctrl' = 0 terminated prematurely because of the following error(s):
Error found by spectre during periodic steady state analysis `sweeppss-000_pss', during Sweep analysis `sweeppss'.
   ERROR (SPECTRE-11005): Matrix is singular (detected at `I6.SW50.net17').

Analysis `sweeppss-000_pss' was terminated prematurely due to an error.

How can I solve the problem?
Thank you,

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Matrix is singular in switch-cap LC VCO
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2018, 8:30pm

Is the switch open? That would explain it. A singular Jacobian indicates that the solution either does not exists or is not isolated. Try placing large resistors across the capacitors to provide an isolated operating point when the switches are open.

By the way, using extreme settings for the accuracy settings generally creates problem. If you are having problems with the simulator you are better off using the defaults. Tightening reltol should only be done if you are not happy with the accuracy of your results, but setting it to as tight as 1e-6 is asking for trouble. A better strategy might have been to use shooting methods rather than harmonic balance.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mohsenkma

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2018, 7:09am

Hi Mr. Kundert,

There was problem in both open and close switches. But, applying your comments, I could successfully run the simulation. Either using large resistors or using shooting engine fixes the error. However, I wonder if I use large resistors, how could I pass LVS? There are not such resistors in layout.

Thank you so much

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2018, 12:29am

If the resistors are in your schematic rather than part of a model, one approach would be to add (on the resistors) a string property called nlIgnore with the value "auCdl" to prevent it appearing in the CDL netlist (assuming you're running LVS using a CDL netlist).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.