The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Designing a low noise amplifier using AWR microwave office  (Newbie/Student) (Read 1013 times)
townie

Designing a low noise amplifier using AWR microwave office  (Newbie/Student)
Mar 5th, 2019, 12:11pm

Hey guys new to this site.

Using AWR microwave office to design a low noise amplifier. I have some basic transmission line theory at the moment but in search for more so any good books/links would be very useful.

Im using a ABA-54563 amplifier and according to the data sheet s -parameters the gain should be around 23dB. (Im trying to amplify signals between 880-915 mHz)

Upon simulating and optimizing EL im still getting a negative S21 value.  theres obviously something wrong with my circuit but im not sure what and im not sure what i should research next.

I have the two ports and two transmission lines (I could add more) and between them my amplifier. Does i require any MLEF (Microstrip Line Open-End Effect) in this circuit for it to work ? Just looking for someone to critique this circuit at the moment.

Only starting this project now so i know i have a lot of work to do.

« Last Edit: Mar 07th, 2019, 11:00am by Ken Kundert »  

graph.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
townie

Re: Designing a low noise amplifier using AWR microwave office  (Newbie/Student)
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2019, 12:12pm

Circuit

Capture_011.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
SantoS_Nano

Re: Designing a low noise amplifier using AWR microwave office  (Newbie/Student)
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2019, 4:52am

Hello,

First of all, i want to know about the subcircuit you are using in the design. whether it is just S2P file? or it is an amplifier model provided by the vendor?

Form the datasheet, i can understand that, you no need to add extra transmission lines and tuning (internally matched to 50 ohm).
you just need to follow the circuit provided in the datasheet (2nd page).

Coming to your schematic, you connected Vcc and RFout directly. In general, we should use decoupling capacitors for RF IN and RF OUT (1nF as shown in datasheet).

Just add add capacitors at input and output (as shown in datasheet) and simulate. you should get some positive gain.

Comment back with simulation results...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.