The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 6:52am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smith chart of λ/4 Transmission Line (Read 1087 times)
blue111
Community Member

Smith chart of λ/4 Transmission Line
Mar 18th, 2019, 7:33am

I came across the following slide on power combiner circuit and I have questions about it.

1. Why traverse across the upper half circle ? In other words, why is Zin located at the right side of Zout ?

2. Why when translating an impedance towards the generator we move clockwise around the chart ?

3. Why "ZT-line is the geometric mean of Zout and Zin." ?

4. Why overlay the Smith chart scaled for ZT on top of the Z0 Smith chart ?

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2019, 12:09am by blue111 »  
View Profile   IP Logged
SantoS_Nano

Re: Smith chart of λ/4 Transmission Line
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2019, 5:19am

Hi...

1. The location of the Zin and Zout on smith chart will depends on the impedance values. In the attached smith chart, I think, the locations were chosen randomly.
But from figure, you can observe that Zin>Zout and both are real (pure resistances).

3. Yes. In quarter-wave transformer case,  ZTline is geometric mean of Zout and Zin.
You can observe this result by simply substituting l=lambda/4 in basic "transmission line impedance equation".

4. Question can be more clear.
but scaling with Zo (50ohm) is for simplicity. it is like, ZTline is normalized with Zo (ZTline/Zo).

Regards...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.