The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SpectreRF Front-end receiver measurements (Read 60 times)
MWJ1975

SpectreRF Front-end receiver measurements
Mar 20th, 2019, 8:03pm

Hi,

I would like to simulate the ip3, NF, 1dB, and any other performance metrics for the front-end receiver I have designed. It consists of an LNA, injection-locked oscillator (ILO), an envelope detector and a 50-ohm output buffer (In that order).  The LNA is tuned for 1830MHz, and the ILO is tuned for 915MHz to perform divide-by-2.

Could anyone provide useful documents or links for receiver simulations? Or even suggest how I would measure the NF of the RX? I have an input and output port connected, but I am confused about the frequency selection. Since the LNA and OSC are tuned to different frequencies.  

I have designed the receiver in TSMC 130 nm technology using SpectreRF simulator.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: SpectreRF Front-end receiver measurements
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2019, 7:00am

At the very least look at the workshops in the <SPECTREinstDir>/tools/spectre/examples/SpectreRF_workshop/rfworkshop.tar.Z - there are six documents and a database, covering typical simulations for LNAs, PAs, VCOs, Mixers and then one on wireless analysis (for transmitters) and the transmission line library.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
MWJ1975

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2019, 6:07pm

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I've tried looking for those files in the directory.  Do not have a SpectreRF example folder.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2019, 1:03am

You must be looking in the wrong place. The workshop has been in the MMSIM or SPECTRE release at that location for at least 10 years now... (probably more than 10 years). Perhaps you're looking in the IC release rather than the MMSIM or SPECTRE release dir? You need to look under wherever the UNIX command "spectre_root" returns.

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.