The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase Noise measurement for PLL in closed Loop (Read 1164 times)
thewirehead

India
Phase Noise measurement for PLL in closed Loop
Nov 10th, 2019, 3:52am

Hello there,
I've been new to this forum, so if this question isn't supposed to be here or is already repeated elsewhere (I have searched all across the forum and I was unable to find the answer) please point me there. Thanks.

My question is that, I have rigged-up PLL schematic at transistor level in 65nm. The PLL is working in all the corners. Now I need to run Phase noise analysis to the complete PLL in closed loop. I'm using Virtuoso 6.17, I tried to run PSS and Pnoise analysis and I faced problem with convergence, I tried it multiple ways failed miserably  :'(.
Could someone take a time help me solve this issue ? Where exactly am I doing wrong ? and are there any other methods than just this.

My PLL specs:
Ref Clock : 100MHz,
Output Clock: 10GHz
Charge Pump Current : 100uA

Should I run Phase noise analysis to each block separately and should I add it up ? Please help.

Thank You..

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Phase Noise measurement for PLL in closed Loop
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2019, 8:52pm

Use shooting methods, and set tstab long enough so that the PLL reaches lock before the PSS analysis begins.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
thewirehead

India
Re: Phase Noise measurement for PLL in closed Loop
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2019, 9:12pm

Thanks a lot Ken, big salute..
You made my day,

I will try this, and get back.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.