The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:09pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PAC Sweep type: absolute or relative? (Read 961 times)
iVenky

Silicon Valley
PAC Sweep type: absolute or relative?
Dec 23rd, 2019, 5:04pm

Hi,

I would like to know the difference between PAC sweep types: Absolute & Relative. Cadence manual says it's recommended to use "relative" for autonomous systems like oscillators and "absolute" for driven systems like mixers. Can you please explain me the difference and why it is circuit dependent?

pac.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: PAC Sweep type: absolute or relative?
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2019, 11:51pm

Relative is relative to the fundamental frequency. Absolute is relative to 0. So, if you sweep from 1Hz to 1MHz on a 1GHz oscillator and sweep type is absolute, then the noise will be measure from 1Hz to 1MHz. However, if the sweep time is relative, then it is measured from 1GHz + 1Hz to 1GHz + 1MHz.

The reason you use relative for oscillators is that you almost always want to know the noise near the carrier frequency, and the carrier frequency is not known precisely. In my example I said the oscillation frequency is 1GHz, but it is only approximately 1GHz. So you need a relative sweep, an absolute sweep is useless for oscillators.

With driven circuit, you do know the fundamental frequency precisely, so the need for relative sweeps is reduced. However, you are free to use either sweep type on driven circuits as suits your needs.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
iVenky

Silicon Valley
Re: PAC Sweep type: absolute or relative?
Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2019, 3:53pm

Got it! Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.