The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:58pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's the timing window to update dual-modulus divider divider ratio control? (Read 630 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

What's the timing window to update dual-modulus divider divider ratio control?
Sep 20th, 2022, 7:40pm

In frac-N PLL, if I use dual-modulous divider as shown in the figure, what is the safe time window to update the divider ratio control word P<N:0>?

Intuitively the safe window is to update the p<n:0> when all mod0-modn signals are logic low. Not sure if this is correct and can assure the divider operates glitch-free.

Thanks,
Neo

divq1.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
smlogan
Community Member

Boston, MA
Re: What's the timing window to update dual-modulus divider divider ratio control?
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2022, 6:06pm

Dear neoflash,

> if I use dual-modulous divider as shown in the figure, what is the safe time
> window to update the divider ratio control word P<N:0?
>
> Intuitively the safe window is to update the p<n:0> when all mod0-modn signals
> are logic low. Not sure if this is correct and can assure the divider operates
> glitch-free.

An approach I have used is to synchronize the divider option. p(N:0>, to the output clock. There will still exist a maximum input frequency, but this approach worked well for me.

Shawn

Shawn
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.