The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LDO pz analysis (Read 3353 times)
Frank99

LDO pz analysis
May 14th, 2014, 2:08pm

hi,

i am simulating the open loop response of an LDO regulator using 2 methods and i expected identical result.

1st, i place a iprobe in series with the feedback signal that went back to the error amplifer reference. this gave me a gain and phase plot. from it i could roughly tell where the pole and zeros are.
all is good. for example, dominate pole is at 1KHz.

2nd, with the same circuit, i manually break the loop (at the same place where i placed the iprobe in 1st case) using an inductor and inject an AC source into the left of it. then run pz analysis.
i expect pz analysis to return the numerical location of the pole and zero. HOWEVER, the result i got had pole/zero location that was way small. about 1E-6 Hz.
all dc bias is preserved.

questions:

1. am I simulating the open loop response in 2nd case correctly?

2. if so, why does the 2nd case result is so odd. i use simple RC circuit to test this setup and the result is correct.

thanks please help.

Frank

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: LDO pz analysis
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2014, 5:52pm

No, you should never break the loop.

If you break the loop you are changing the circuit. If you change the circuit you change the results. More than that I cannot say because you have not given the circuit.

This result is very well known and have been discussed extensively on this site. I suggest you search for posts by Frank Wiedmann on this topic. Or you could just search for "frank wiedmann loop gain".

-Ken

Oh yes, and please do not ask simulation questions in the design boards.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Frank99

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2014, 10:19am

thanks Ken for your reply

sorry my question wasn't clear before
attached is the schematic of the pz analysis

is this the correct way to find the open loop pole/zero of an LDO?

I used an AC source to inject ac=1 through a large cap. while the dc bias is preserved using a big inductor (bottom of picture).

thank you again.

Frank

reg.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - May 15th, 2014, 12:34pm

The inductor and capacitor preserve the DC operating point, but they modify the circuit at other frequencies. In effect, they are breaking the loop at non-zero frequencies and so are changing the circuit. You must get rid of them.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.