The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 1:06pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dielectric absorption of SiO2 (Read 5138 times)
Lieutenant Columbo

Just one more thing

Dielectric absorption of SiO2
Sep 08th, 2002, 12:16am

I read the monograph on modeling dielectric absorption in capacitors with great interest - it is a topic with which I have little familiarity but suddenly need to know a lot about.

I am interested in finding out if anyone has computed model parameters for dielectric absorption of SiO2.  I am interested in the epsilon0-epsiloninfty term and the associated time constants or alpha term.  A literature search did not yield anything.:'(

I'd appreciate any help anyone could offer.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Dielectric absorption of SiO2
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2002, 12:23am

I'm afraid I will not be of much help. I looked into the question of dielectric absorption back in 1982 in order to write a report for a class on circuit theory. Over the years I came to realize that the circuit design community did not have a good understanding of the importance of dielectric absorption or how to model it. So I dusted off the old class report and typed it in, with the result being what you read. Other than writing this report, which I wrote after reading a few papers, I have never done any work in this area. My overall conclusion is that the Cole-Cole model is a very good one (very predictive), but that it is difficult to extract the parameters and difficult to create a simulatable model. I tried to address the second issue by writing the fracpole code (available on the website). However, this still leaves open the issue of the parameters. I do not have access to the measurement equipment that would be required to extract the parameters, so I too am constrained to looking on the web. By using Google to search for "Cole-Cole" and "dielectric" I found a large number of references, but nothing on SiO2 (there was a lot on various body tissues, as well as things you might put in a microwave oven).

However, perhaps I can offer a tiny amount of help. My understanding is the epsiloninfty would normally be the free space dielectic constant, which would be 1 when working with relative dielectric constants, and epsilon0 would be the accepted value for the dielectric constant for SiO2, which I don't remember for sure but the value of 11.7 keeps coming to mind. As alpha approaches 1 the value of tau0 becomes unimportant because the time-constant distribution spread is so wide. In my experience with discrete capacitors, it was possible to choose a value for tau0 that simply placed it in the middle of the frequency band of interest, then choose alpha to fit the loss tangent data. This assumes that alpha is between 0.75 and 1.0.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.