The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 11:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectre on the Command Mode (Read 1882 times)
Vudathu

Bremen, Germany
Spectre on the Command Mode
Nov 28th, 2002, 5:26am

Hai all,
           I have a question concerning the coupling of SPECTRE (In the Command line mode) with an Optimization tool. I am using Ocean, for performing the measurements and calculating some characteristics like Slew Rate and stuff like that. I am almost done with my work here.

Till now I have been coupling the version 4.4 3 of Spectre and now I am on to my toes for coupling the version 5 of Spectre.
i.e, now I want to couple the latest version of Spectre with the same Optimization tool. I am in a doubt if I have to use the same Ocean for making measurements or is there anything new in it.

I heard from somone that the latest version of Spectre has something different that can be made use instead of the Ocean scripting language.

Can anyone please tell me some details about this.

Thanks,
Vudathu

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Spectre on the Command Mode
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2002, 5:56pm

In the most recent version (5.0) Spectre does provide a new capability named Spectre Measurement Description Language or SpectreMDL. It provides an HSpice like .measure capability. It is designed to support cell characterization. Since the measurement expressions are evaluated in the simulator, it supports autostop. MDL does not provide scripting like Ocean.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:36pm

Does SpectreMDL have an Analog Artist interface and if so, is it released yet?

View Profile   IP Logged
kristin

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2002, 7:07am

Vudathu,

In SpectreMDL, available in version 5.0, we have added a binary search capability. While this capability does not allow you to vary more than one parameter, you can set up rather complex goals using the MDL language. I will be happy to send you an example if you wish. As Ken points out, MDL is geared towards cell characterization applications, providing a very powerful native measurement capability. The binary search capability is currently being utilized in a number of applications, such as set up time and dynamic noise margin calculations. But it is general purpose enough to be applied elsewhere. We do not yet support the general scripting aspects of Ocean, such as writing output to arbitrary files, netlisting from the database, etc.

Eugene,

There is a loose ADE (Artist) interface in the IC5.0 version of software. In the Setup -> Simulation Files form, you will see a new field labeled "MDL Control File". You may insert the name of an MDL control file here, and all simulation control and output measurement will be controlled by this file. (The analyses and meeasurements in the ADE simulation interface will be ignored.) Please see the online documentation (cdsDoc) for assistance in setting up a control file.

Best Regards,

Kristin

View Profile   IP Logged
Vudathu

Bremen, Germany
Please send me the example
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2002, 9:06am

Dear Kristin,
                    It would be great if you could send me an example as you said.  I think that would be of great use to me in my coupling the latest version of the simulator to the optimization tool that I am currently dealing with.

Waiting for the example.

Thanks,
Vudathu

View Profile   IP Logged
watelzbuddy

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2006, 2:56am

Hi Friends,
   I am new to the community. I found it's very useful. Thanks to one and all who started this community and contributing/sharing  their knowledge. I have the following question. I didn't use much of the command line interface. I am using GUI. When I am running simulation I am specifying my measurement statements through outputs and then using calculator. I found there is no copy paste facility to repeat some measurements. I couldn't find these emasurements statement in input.scs file too. Could you please let me know an efficient way of measuring singnals.
Thanks,
Sunil Reddy

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2006, 3:23am

watelzbuddy wrote on Sep 18th, 2006, 2:56am:
Hi Friends,
   I am new to the community. I found it's very useful. Thanks to one and all who started this community and contributing/sharing  their knowledge. I have the following question. I didn't use much of the command line interface. I am using GUI. When I am running simulation I am specifying my measurement statements through outputs and then using calculator. I found there is no copy paste facility to repeat some measurements. I couldn't find these emasurements statement in input.scs file too. Could you please let me know an efficient way of measuring singnals.
Thanks,
Sunil Reddy

You can get access to the outputs you declared in the state file which you save (Session->save state...) or if you look in the netlist directory (where the input.scs is) you will see an ocean file (spectre1.ocn) which will also have you outputs in it. You can dump the ocean file directly from your ADE GUI (Session->Save Script...) and this file has all your declared outputs in it.
Anyway simple copy and paste can be done with the middle mouse button (or ctrl+c or ctrl+insert for copy and ctrl+v for paste).
Cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
watelzbuddy

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2006, 3:53am

Thanks for the info. Is there an alternate way of viewing the results apart from GUI? (In the file system undet netlist directory or psf directoy) Is there a way to import them into excel? At the same time I am unable to use the variables/parametes inside measure statements through the calculator. Is there a way to use variables specified in GUI to include in measure statements?

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2006, 5:03am

watelzbuddy wrote on Sep 18th, 2006, 3:53am:
Thanks for the info. Is there an alternate way of viewing the results apart from GUI? (In the file system undet netlist directory or psf directoy) Is there a way to import them into excel? At the same time I am unable to use the variables/parametes inside measure statements through the calculator. Is there a way to use variables specified in GUI to include in measure statements?

You need to use either a cadence viewer/tool to read the psf results directory directly.
To do what you want to do, one would use OCEAN to save out specific data to files for post processing in a  differnent tool like excel of matlab.
Interactively with the waveform/wavescan/calculator GUI you can use printvs function and save the x,y data to a file for reading in excel/matlab. All the guides to use tools are found in the cadence_intsallation_path/doc.
To get the variables you need the VAR function, again you can llokup how to use it in cadence_intsallation_path/doc/calc/calc.pdf or wavescan stuff.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.