The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 12:57pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to measure PSRR and output noise of bandgap? (Read 17795 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
How to measure PSRR and output noise of bandgap?
Mar 13th, 2004, 12:34am

Hello,

Who know the method and instruments for measuring the PSRR and output voltage noise of bangap voltage reference?

Thanks in advance.

Yawei Guo

View Profile   IP Logged
monte78

Re: How to measure PSRR and output noise of bandga
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2006, 2:54am

Do you yet need these informations?
I've performed some measurements on bandgaps, so I have some ideas!

Let me know if you are interested!

ywguo wrote on Mar 13th, 2004, 12:34am:
Hello,

Who know the method and instruments for measuring the PSRR and output voltage noise of bangap voltage reference?

Thanks in advance.

Yawei Guo

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:17pm

Hi, monte78,

I am sorry that I have never seen this reply for a long time. I am still interested in your ideas.

BG
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2006, 12:25am

I know how to define PSRR of an amplifier circuit..  
you have to take the ratio of the gain from the supply to the output and the gain from the input to the output..

Say you get the gain from the supply to the bandgap output.. - what are you going to use for the OTHER side of the ratio???
Since I don't have time to do a textbook or google search for you.. I'll hope that asking this question helps you along the road to finding the answer you need..

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
SATurn
Community Member

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2006, 1:48am

I think in BGR circuits, just the power supply rejection (PSR) is measured ...

SATurn

View Profile   IP Logged
monte78

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2007, 4:38am

SATurn wrote on Oct 25th, 2006, 1:48am:
I think in BGR circuits, just the power supply rejection (PSR) is measured ...

SATurn

I just measured the power supply rejection of the BGR from about 100kHz to 1GHz. This because I performed the measurement by means of a network analyzer.
I set the port 1 of the Network analyzer (NWA) as the supply net and the port 2 as the output net. From the scattering parameters with some matrix manipulations I extracted the PSR. The big limitation is due to the fact that usually you have a very low value of PSR at low frequencies, so if you want to measure PSR you need to inject into the BGR a high level signal that can change the response of your circuit (it's not a small signal measurement). If you don't inject a high level signal you can measure the PSR only from a certain frequency (corresponding to the minimum sensitivity of the NWA) up to the instruments limitation (or up to the calibration limitations).

It's also true that if you want to measure the PSR is probably because you want to check the quality of the curve, so you probably can't reach the real PSR curve because of the NWA limitation but yu can check if there are some problems.

I don't know if it's possible to measure directly PSR for low frequencies, maybe by means of indirectly measurements but I've never seen something about it.

Bye bye

Nicola

PS The output voltage noise was measured by means of a True RMS Voltage Meter like HP3457A (it depends on the accuracy you need)

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2007, 10:29am

monte78, your method sounds right. How did you de-embed the supply bypass caps and bead?

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
monte78

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 6:04am

I used the SOLT (Short - Open - Load - Thru) calibration method. The measurements I performed were directly on die, so there were no effect of package and bonding wires and pads.
However it's possible perform the measurement also on package but you need to perform an accurate de-embedding of the measurement setup and of the stray capacitances of the PCB where you are testing the BGR.

mg777 wrote on Feb 20th, 2007, 10:29am:
monte78, your method sounds right. How did you de-embed the supply bypass caps and bead?

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2007, 11:31pm

Monte78,

Thanks for your reply. Your method is good. However,  I have never used a network analyzer. I guess you extract the PSR from a series S-parameter, or something else. Smiley

If I have no network analyzer, how do I measure PSR?

Thanks
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
monte78

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2007, 7:40am

ywguo wrote on Feb 26th, 2007, 11:31pm:
Monte78,

Thanks for your reply. Your method is good. However,  I have never used a network analyzer. I guess you extract the PSR from a series S-parameter, or something else. Smiley

If I have no network analyzer, how do I measure PSR?

Thanks
Yawei

I think that depends on the frequency you want to measure PSR. At low frequency I think it's not possible to measure PSR. At high frequency is possible (as I wrote before) but you have to use network analyzer for high frequencies. Maybe at intermediate frequencies you can try to superimpose a signal of known amplitude to the supply voltage by means of a big size capacitor to decouple ac from dc and with an inductor to force the ac signal to enter the BGR. Then you can try to measure the residual output ac signal by means of an oscilloscope. The limits are various, like the precision of the oscilloscope and the fact that the input impedance seen in the supply net can reduce the signal amplitude (impedance divider). But maybe you can obtain something, it depends on what you exactly are trying to do.

Why do you need to measure PSR?

Bye bye

Monte

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2007, 10:14pm

Monte,

Thank you very much. I am clear now.

I saw some datasheets of BGR has PSR vs. frequency. I used to worry that the PSR of BGR will affect my ADC performance. Smiley

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.