The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 1:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
spectre vs eldo experience? (Read 59 times)
101questions

spectre vs eldo experience?
Sep 03rd, 2004, 1:23am

We are starting a new project from scratch and we have a luxury to chose the right platform without any legacy conciderations.
I've used to work for a few years with spectre, but I've heard a lot of good words about eldo.
Is there anybody having hands-on experience with both platforms?
Other than basics, we are interested in phase noise simulation capabilities, switched-cap noise, non-linearity and large signal transfer function simulations.
How is eldo vs cadence simulation speed, convergence in difficult cases, like bsim4 circuits, bugs here and there?
After all, what is the best place to ask about Mentor problems, other than its competitors board?

View Profile   IP Logged
Forum Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: spectre vs eldo experience?
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:36am

Just so that there is no confusion, The Designer's Guide and its Forum is not officially affiliated with any vendor or simulator. There happens to be a lot of information on the site about Spectre because that is a simulator that I personally know a great deal about. However, everyone is welcome to submit papers or posts or even books that conform to the spirit of The Designer's Guide site of providing accurate technical information that is useful to designers and does not directly promote any particular product or service regardless of what tools they may involve.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: spectre vs eldo experience?
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2004, 1:10pm

Hello,

I used to work with Eldo for several years, started with Cadence 2 years ago when I changed jobs (althoug I continue using Eldo for some tasks) and I would say both tools have their strengths and weaknesses.
Mentor's effort in supporting mixed-language simulations (even partially in EldoRF) can be very useful for system level analysis.In your application, SpectreRF's PSS analysis probably better suits your needs in phase noise simulation, switched-cap noise etc than Eldo.
I think Cadence has a much more user friendly framework and for sure offers much better support, be it through Sourcelink, Cadence news group (Usenet: comp.cad.cadence).
Last but not least, Ken had the great idea to create this site, which is very helpful to all of us...

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.