The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 12:59am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectre vs SpectreS and SpectreRF (Read 5440 times)
Analog Designer

Spectre vs SpectreS and SpectreRF
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:00pm

Hi all,
Does anybody know what is exactly the difference between Spectre and SpectreS. Which one is older? and where is SpectrRF is it a part of Spectre?
because in our Cadence setup I can just see Spectre and SpectreS and no SpectreRF is it a problem of setup?
Thanks

IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Spectre vs SpectreS and SpectreRF
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2005, 6:53am

Use Spectre. SpectreS is obsolete. SpectreRF is part of Spectre.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Analog Designer

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2005, 8:33am

Hi,

So still the question is that why SpectreS exists? and if Spectre is better why SpectreS has more options. Is it a problem of my setup i.e. our installation is out-of0date or this is the way it works?

Also I checked Cadence example on siumulating low-noise amplifiers and it has used SpetreS rather than Spectre eventhough it always say that using SpectreRF for simulation.

I cannot find any document on SpectreS in Cadence but in some exapmples it has been used instead of Spectre

IP Logged
mohammad

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2005, 9:15am

Hi,
I made a mistake in my previous post. SpectreS doesn't have more options than Spectre but still when I look into Cadence documentation I find a part: SpectreRF Help for SpectreS, Product Version 5.0.0
What does this mean?

M.H.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2005, 12:50pm

Elaborating on Ken's answer a bit (I'm sure this has come up before)...

There is one simulator, called spectre. spectreRF is an option to spectre which allows access to additional analyses (pss, pac, pxf, pnoise, psp, qpss, qpac, qpxf, qpnoise, qpsp, envlp) .

In the Analog Design Environment, there are two interfaces to the simulator. spectreS and spectre. In both cases you can access spectre and spectreRF features, but spectreS is limited because it is obsolete.

spectreS is the older interface which operates via the "cdsSpice Socket" - the "S in spectreS stands for "Socket". This was needed in the past as the standard way of integrating simulators in ADE because commonly simulators did not have a strong parameterisation and expression handling capability. cdsSpice however had a fairly powerful preprocessing language which could act as the preprocessor for other simulators.

However, spectre has had a good expression language for some time now, and so it made sense to cut out the middle man and interface directly to the simulator. So the spectre interface was created which directly talks to spectre, and is much faster as a result. Since spectre interface was introduced in IC443, spectreS has not been enhanced - so many of the newer spectre and spectreRF analyses are not there in spectreS.

The only reason you would use spectreS is if you're using an old design flow which only supports spectreS (the CDF information in primitive libraries needs to support the interface). Otherwise you should steer well clear of it and use the spectre (direct) interface. We keep the old interface because customers who cannot move, or who have very slow CAD departments (joke  ;) ) would complain like mad if we removed it!

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.