The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 22nd, 2024, 12:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
processes leftover after quiting cadence (Read 2983 times)
jimmy
Community Member

processes leftover after quiting cadence
Apr 12th, 2005, 12:05pm

Hi,

I am using linux version cadence, icfb5.1.41. I found there are a lot of processes will stay in the system even though I quit cadence. Most of these processes seem to be related to java. Do you know how to automatically get rid of thsse process when I quit cadence. They actually use memory and make the machine slow.

thanks,
jimmy

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: processes leftover after quiting cadence
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2005, 1:14am

Most likely they are the cdsdoc processes.

If you're running on Linux, you may be fooled into thinking that they take a lot of memory because there are a lot of processees which each appear to use so much memory. Java threads on linux actually show up as multiple processes, but the memory is shared, so it isn't really taking 10 times (or whatever) the amount of memory.

If it's cdsdoc, you can always type "cdsdoc" to bring up the GUI, and hit exit on the GUI. That will cause them to quit.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jimmy
Community Member

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2005, 12:20am

Hi Andrew,

I found many of the produced processes are something like:

20452 20431  0 00:01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/apps/cadence/current/tools/jre/bin/java -noverify -ms3m

Seems they are related to java. And the number of such processes are just huge.

thanks,
jimmy

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2005, 6:50am

Did you actually read my previous posting? I said that this is a consequence of how threads are implemented in Java on Linux.

For example, I just ran cdsdoc, and I have 22 jre processes showing up (I didn't do anything yet).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.