The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 22nd, 2024, 8:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restarting a Spectre Simulation in ADE (Cadence) (Read 835 times)
Sid
Community Member

Restarting a Spectre Simulation in ADE (Cadence)
Apr 17th, 2005, 1:38pm

Hi,

I am using the "check-point" feature within Analog Design Environment (ADE) to allow me to restart my Spectre transient simulations (which run for several days) if they stop due to some form of system crash.

Details of what I do:
------------------------

For this I set "create check-point file" under "set-up->Environment" in ADE. I also mention in the "analysis->choose->transient->options" form the value of "ckptperiod" (i.e. check-point period = 20 ns, say).

Cadence then creates a "check point file" even 20 ns of my transient simulation. Hence, if my system crashes at say t = 125 ns, I will be able to restart the simulation from t = 120 ns. To restart from 120 ns I check the box "set-up->environment->start from check-point file" before restarting the simulation.

Here is MY PROBLEM:
-------------------------
When I view the waveforms after a RE-STARTED simulation completes, I DO NOT SEE THE WAVEFORMS for the time before the crash. For example, if my simulation crashed (or was stopped) at 125 ns, and Cadence starts the RE-STARTED simulation from t = 120 ns, I do NOT see waveform data for 0-120 ns. However, I see waveform data for all signals from t=120 ns! How do I fix this?

I have tried playing with both "session->save-state" and "results->save" in ADE, but to no use. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sid

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Restarting a Spectre Simulation in ADE (Cadenc
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2005, 12:47am

Hi Sid,

This is because a new result database is created - it does not append the existing one.

There is however a facility on the Results->Direct Plot->Main Form, on the transient page, where you can specify another results file that it will use to glue onto the beginning of the current results.

So, you should do a results->save after the first simulation, and then use this direct plot feature for the second.

Unfortunately you can only glue one pair of results together this way.

I'm not sure when the Direct Plot feature to do this was introduced - my guess is IC5033 (without actually checking).

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Sid
Community Member

Re: Restarting a Spectre Simulation in ADE (Cadenc
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2005, 8:47am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks a lot for the reply. It was helpful.

Sid

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.