The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 22nd, 2024, 6:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
memeoty leak problem of icfb 5.1.41 (Read 2016 times)
jimmy
Community Member

memeoty leak problem of icfb 5.1.41
Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:49am

Hi,

I am runing icfb 5.1.41 on our linux machine. Whenever I run cadence, there are a lot processes generated and the memeory is taken more and more. Even though I quit cadence, most of the memory are still taken. As the result, the speed of the machine becomes very slow. When I run old version cadence (cifb5.0), there is no such problem. I don't know how to solve this problem.

The linux op I am using is Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 2)

Hope someone can kindly suggest me a solution.

thanks a lot,
jimmy

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: memeoty leak problem of icfb 5.1.41
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:52pm

Well, if it was really leaking memory after the program has exited, that would be an OS problem, not the fault of the tool. The OS is responsible for managing the memory heap - and when a program exits, the OS gets the memory back - and so if it is not allowing it to be re-used, the OS is at fault.

However, be wary that "top" does not necessarily tell you the amount of free memory - Linux uses that memory for other things (file caching, I think, if I remember rightly), and so it doesn't show up in the "free" memory in top - but as soon as another application comes along and needs it, it should be available to that application. That's the idea anyway...

The other alternative is that there is still some process running which is hogging the memory. We often get people pointing out all the many java processes running - but these are a consequence of the way that java threads are implemented on Linux - as separate processes using shared memory.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.