The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 1st, 2024, 6:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Optimization Time (Read 1998 times)
aamar
Community Member

Germany
Optimization Time
Sep 08th, 2005, 4:21am

Dear Sirs,
I am using at the moment Neocircuit to optimize some simple analog blocks.

I define some goals which may be sometimes 4 to 6 goals with 4 to 5 parameters which is also not so wide and the step is almost not so large for example, 1 to 30 with step of 1.

I notice that the progress is so slow, sometimes all the goals are satisfied but still the progress bar shows only 4%. and some times, it doesn't achieve the goals even after 30% which takes about more than 12 hours trials.

I am using Spectre as simulator and define my goals using neocalc.

My questions are:
1. What is the meaning of achieving all the goals and still the progress is far from 100%, what is he doing more?
2. Is there any criteria to optimize or minimize the optimization time?,i.e. defining my goals in a special order, or special form?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards.

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Optimization Time
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2005, 8:28am

What do you mean by "achieving all the goals"?

Usually, an optimization has constraints which MUST be met (phase margin > 45), along with some goals (minimize power).  Presumably, you have found a solution that satisfies all the constraints, but the optimizer still has a lot of the design space to explore to verify that the goals are truly optimized.

I don't know what you would mean by "achieving" a goal of "minimizing power" (well, OK, if you got zero power, then you could know there was nothing further to be done there).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.