The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 21st, 2024, 4:48pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trans sim time effect , wat th heck is that??? (Read 3222 times)
jefkat
Community Member

Trans sim time effect , wat th heck is that???
Oct 03rd, 2005, 4:37am

Hello Guys,
              The total transient time (that you set in spectre RF) seems to affect my waveforms...A 100ns toal time gives odd waveforms but if I set it to 1usec, everything works fine !!!?????
              any clue?
              bye
              shaf.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Trans sim time effect , wat th heck is that???
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:02am

If you do not specify the rise and fall times of pulse sources, they are set to be 1% of the simulation interval. Perhaps that is what is causing the problem.

Alternatively, sometimes the instability in an unstable circuit is not excited unless you use sufficiently small timesteps. This is discussed in Section 4.4.3 in my Spice and Spectre book.

If you want more specific comments, you will have to describe what you mean by "odd".

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jefkat
Community Member

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:39am

Hey Thanks much  Ken.
       Actually I am simulating a capacitive bank. A particular  cap. can be added in parallel (with the rest) by switching a transistor.
         The switching combination was being applied by an AHDL block.  I needed to measure capacitance for different combinations.     I was doing this by applying a 'vsin' source  and detecting current (and then detecting phase difference bw I and V...)
         I saw some wild oscilations on top of this current . That's what I meant with "odd"...
          wat book are u refering to ? Is it some online ??

Many thanks for ur time!
         shaf.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:48am

The problem might also result if you have not used transition() functions to control the transition time of your switches.

The wild oscillations might be due to trapezoidal rule ringing. Try method=gear2only transient analysis option.

Information on the book can be found at http://www.designers-guide.org/Books/dg-spice/index.html.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.