The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The "noise" floor of fft waveform in HSP (Read 8782 times)
flamingo

The "noise" floor of fft waveform in HSP
Dec 18th, 2005, 12:15am

The lowest "noise" floor of FFT in Hspice is about -110dB due to my simulation results, and noise floor of output signal is only -65dB. You can refer to the pic below.

what does lead to the high "noise" floor in fft analysis, the circuit noise or simulator error? what about the value of the noise floor that we can accept for a design? and most important thing is how to reduce it to a acceptable level.

My amplifier works as signal conditioning before a 10bit ADC.

View Profile   IP Logged
vborich

Re: The "noise" floor of fft waveform in
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2005, 9:08am

Did you make sure that the output is in steady state? Try running the analysis for twice as long and see if the results change.

View Profile   IP Logged
flamingo

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2005, 12:47am

[quote author=vborich  link=1134893752/0#1 date=1135012119]Did you make sure that the output is in steady state? Try running the analysis for twice as long and see if the results change. [/quote]
Yes, I am absolutely sure the output is in steady state, and I can't remember how many times simulated.

And I have tried several methods to reduce the the "noise" floor, such as decrease Tstep in tran, tighten RELTOL option, choose more accurate transient algorithm. but the result does not change a lot although may be a little improvement due to some modifications.

Sometimes I think maybe there are problems with my ckt, for example, the circuit noise or something that result in poor fft noise floor. The output noise of my ckt is about 2uV/rt Hz, and it sounds resonable for a 4 stage high gain amplifier (maximum gain is about 60dB). what about your advice or do you encounter similar problem? How to resolve it or just can we neglect this phenomenon?

View Profile   IP Logged
vborich

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2005, 9:00am

What did you use for start and stop times in the FFT analysis? Are you analyzing the last period of the beat signal?

The noise floor you are seeing is not the circuit noise you are referring to. To see the circuit noise in the time domain you'd need to run a transient noise analysis, and I don't believe that HSPICE has it. (I haven't used HSPICE in a long time, so I may be wrong). So the noise floor you are seeing is a combination of numerical and .FFT noise. With the tight tolerances you used, numerical noise should be below the level you are seeing. So my guess is it's mostly FFT processing that's at fault here.

Post the details of your .TRAN and .FFT statements and that may offer more clues.

View Profile   IP Logged
flamingo

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2005, 6:18pm

Thank you, and I have learned something from your reply. The fft "noise" floor can be decrease to about -75dB while increasing the tran run time from 10us to 50us. the reason???
The following is tran and fft statements:

**input nodes:in1 and in2
vid1 s1 m0 ac 1 0 sin(0 0.3m 35meg)   $$to keep output swing equal 1Vpp
vid2 m0 ic sin(0 0.3m 37meg)
evid1 s2 m1 m0 s1 1
evid2 m1 ic ic m0 1          $diff Signal use transformers
vic ic 0 2
rs1 s1 in1 50
rs2 s2 in2 50
.options acct post nomod brief dcstep=2 CONVERGE=1
.options fft_accurate acout=0 lvltim=3 reltol=1e-4  
.tran 0.2n 10u  $when use longer duration the lower "noise" floor of fft
.fft v(outn,outp) np=8192 window=kaiser alfa=3  $default start=0 and stop=10u in tran.
.end

althogh longer tran simulation time can imporve the "noise" floor, I don't know the limit due to this, and it takes long time (Typically 50us needs about 4-5hours).
Since the fft "noise" floor does not represent the actual noise of amplifier, I just need to lower the floor level enough to manifest the distortion. For example, IM3 for a given output is about -60dBc, then I just need "noise" floor -65dB or lower.
As you mentioned, If want to do tran with noise analysis simultaneously, what simulator can be used? I have SpectreRF and ADS, can one of them do this?

View Profile   IP Logged
vborich

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2005, 7:33pm

OK, I think we can do even better. Try the following:

1) Set start=9 us stop=10 us in the .fft card. This way you'll process the last period of the beat signal only.

2) Experiment with the window type. In particular, try without a window (no window may be called "Rectangular window" in HSPICE documentation).

ADS is very good at multi-tone simulation and at frequency domain noise simulation. It has a time domain noise engine, but that's not what you need or want in this case. Simply put, frequency domain simulation avoids the headaches you are seeing in HSPICE.

I work on ADS, so I am more than a little biased, but it's a safe bet that you'd be get your job done quicker in a harmonic-balance tool than in HSPICE on this class of problems.

View Profile   IP Logged
vborich

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2005, 7:37pm

Just to be clear on my last post, you don't need to go all the way to 50 us. 10 us is sufficient if as you said you are confident that the circuit is in steady-state. In fact, if it appears that it's steady after, say, 5 us, then use 4us to 5us in your .fft statement.

View Profile   IP Logged
flamingo

Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2005, 8:13pm

Thank you very much, everything goes as you predicted. The following pic is the latest result, and it is consistent with the result from SpectreRF PSS analysis. I will try ADS to resimulate the ckt, thank you for your advice Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:57pm

Also note that SpectreRF can perform the PSS analysis using either shooting Newton (a time domain approach, good for circuits which require lots of harmonics) or harmonic balance, known as "flexible balance" in SpectreRF (a frequency domain approach, good for circuits which require a small number of harmonics - i.e. linear or weakly non-linear circuits). If you're using IC5141 USR3 together with MMSIM60 USR2, you'll see the choices appear on the PSS or QPSS choose analysis forms in ADE.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vborich

Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2005, 5:09pm

I'm biased, as I've admitted, but: If by "good for weakly nonlinear" you mean "exceptional for weakly nonlinear and outstanding for highly nonlinear", then you are right about harmonic balance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.