The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:38am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to simulatue a Gm-C integrator? (Read 3374 times)
tumeda
Community Member

How to simulatue a Gm-C integrator?
Mar 03rd, 2006, 2:18am

My question is how to extract the nonlinearity of a Gm-C integrator, i.e. THD (total Harmonic Distortion). SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) and SDR (Signal-to-Distortion ratio)?
As my knowledge, these perforamnces are from the FFT of a signal. Does it need a tranisent simulation???

In some literatures, the performances 1dB compression and IP3 can also present the nonlinearity.
I am confused by that,  Is there any relationship between these perforamnces? Anyone can give me a clear idea.

Thanks in advance!

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: How to simulatue a Gm-C integrator?
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2006, 4:14am

tumeda wrote on Mar 3rd, 2006, 2:18am:
In some literatures, the performances 1dB compression and IP3 can also present the nonlinearity.
I am confused by that,  Is there any relationship between these perforamnces? Anyone can give me a clear idea.

One can estimate the 1dB compression point by iIP3 (input IP3) - 9.6 dBm.

The 1dB compression point is the input power at which the output power is 1dB below the ideal "linear" curve followed for low power.  The "missing" power is lost through nonlinearities to other harmonics.  I guess the assumption is that most of these harmonics are the 3rd order: 2*f1 - f2 and 2*f2-f1.  (You put in two "close" tones, f1 and f2, and you get out not only amplified versions of f1 and f2, but also those two harmonics, which are "close" to the original inputs.)

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
tumeda
Community Member

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2006, 5:53am

Thanks for Geoffrey_Coram's answers! It seems like the harmonics and distortions result in the nonliearity.
but I am still unclear about how to extract the THD or SNR from the Gm-C integrator? and what is the realtionship between the SNR/THD and 1dB compression/IP3 ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2006, 8:19am

To measure THD you apply a pure sine wave of a particular amplitude and measure the harmonic content in the output signal. Since you put a pure sine wave in, any harmonics must result from nonlinearity in the circuit. However, the THD varies with the amplitude of the signal, so you must give you signal level when you give THD.

IP3 and CP1 are also measures of distortion, but they are a bit different than THD. Where THD gives the amount of distortion for a particular signal level, CP1 is a measure of how big the signal can before it causes a particular level of distortion. IP3 is somewhat similar in this regard to CP1, but somewhat indirectly.

SNR is the signal to noise ratio. Or more properly, the maximum achievable signal to noise ratio. It requires that you specify what is an exceptable level of distortion, and then amplitude of the signal that causes that level of distortion  and the noise floor. So it combines the two imperfections that limit dynamic range, distortion and noise.

-Ken

You can find more on IP3 and CP1 in http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/intercept-point.pdf.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.