The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 1st, 2024, 10:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
About DECAP filler cells used in floorplaning (Read 2754 times)
pandit_vlsi

About DECAP filler cells used in floorplaning
May 18th, 2006, 6:46am

hi all.
1.I want to know why these are used.If they are used in reducing PSN ,why cant we use Bypass for the same purpose.
2.What the structure of these cells.
3.How they help in reducing power supply noise.
4.How they are diffrent from Bypass capacitors
I
am in desparate need of these thigs.iam preparing a report.so if possible some links &books  :'(

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: About DECAP filler cells used in floorplaning
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2006, 2:37pm

DeCap is short decoupling capacitor. DeCap is nothing more than another name for bypass capacitors, which are capacitors that typically are connected between a supply and ground or between two supplies that provides an alternative path (a bypass) for high frequency currents in attempt to keep these currents away from the power supply to reduce noise coupling through the supplies.

Bypass is the less ambiguous of the two terms, as there is natural confusion between coupling & decoupling capacitors. A capacitor that is connected in series acts to pass (couple) high frequency signals while blocking (decoupling) low frequency or DC signals. There are also decoupling inductors, which would sit in series with the supply and work with bypass capacitors to block tranmission of noise currents between loads. (see http://designers-guide.org/Design/bypassing.pdf).

While there is ambiguity between coupling and decoupling capacitors, the term decap almost always refers to bypass capacitors.

I recommend that you continue to use the term "bypass capacitor" because it is more descriptive of how it really works, and because it is less confusing.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.