The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 24th, 2024, 2:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectre vs Nanosim (Read 2627 times)
kamesh419

Spectre vs Nanosim
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:06am

Dear all,

I have a SRAM circuit (/circuits with different wordlengths from 8 to 48) which I need to simulate and do the power analysis. Initially I thought I could do the power analysis by simulating the circuit with Spectre. But my supervisor said that it could take many days to simulate one such circuit and I have to do these simulations on more than one circuit. So he suggested me to explore the possibilitys with nanosim. Is it fesible to do such a power analysis on spectre or else would you suggest me to use nanosim instead. How much time will it take to simulate a SRAM circuit with wordlenghts 8, 12, 16, 32 and 48. Your inputs will be very much apprecieted.

Thanks and Regards,
Kamesh.

Truth lies everywhere and partially even with the error.
View Profile   IP Logged
kamesh419

Re: Spectre vs Nanosim
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2006, 12:22am

I forgot to add one thing.The SRAM is a layout level circuit in the above.

Thanks once again for your time,
Kamesh.

Truth lies everywhere and partially even with the error.
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Spectre vs Nanosim
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2006, 4:06am

Why don't you try the wordlength 8 circuit and see how it goes.  You might even try both Spectre and Nanosim for the small circuit and see if the accuracy of Nanosim (which Ken Kundert likes to call a "timing simulator" because it doesn't really have Spice accuracy) is good enough for you.

How many transistors are there?  For power analysis, it may be possible to analyze only one bit row with a multiplicity factor.  This could make a dramatic difference in the speed of the simulation.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.