The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems with Hspice (Read 1184 times)
pipeline

Problems with Hspice
Jun 28th, 2006, 10:53pm

Dear all,
     I encountered two problems when using Hspice, and have no idea with the causes.
     1、There is some warnings : resistance is negative, it may cause instability problem. I wonder what this warning means, how it comes, and how to clear it.
     2、When doing transient analysis of PLL, a run-time error occurs,as showed in the attachment. I don't know where to locate the problem.
     So, would you please give some advices, thanks.

err.png

learning to walk on the road of analog
View Profile   IP Logged
spiceoracle

USA
Re: Problems with Hspice
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2006, 12:44pm

You are obviously using a Windows version of HSPICE but, you didn't mention which version you are using.  Are you using any parameters or elements where the values are expressions?  It could be a math problem with an expression.  It could be a syntax error that is not being handled correctly (bug).  Do you have access to HSPICE on another platform?  Sometimes these things are platform dependent and sometimes a different platform will give you a different and sometimes more user friendly error message.

View Profile   IP Logged
pipeline

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2006, 10:08pm

Yes, I am using Windows Version 2004.9. And it does exist a expression for calculating the value of capacitance in the netlist. So do I have to change platform, or are there any routines to handle such problems? And is the negative resistance warning all right? Thanks for help!

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2006, 2:22am

Regarding your err. message. It has nothing with HSPICE. This is run-time visual Fortran error!
The common case is the results can't be written to the disk. Do you have a disk space problem? Did you leave wave browser (AWAVES or like) opened. It may be also some user names - write/read protection etc.

Negative resistance warning happens quite offen. It is mostly the model issue. You have to find to which element it corresponds. If it is inside subcircuit of some transistor, you may just ignore it (the sourse is probably drain-source voltage inversion)

If you don't have time to do it good
you will find time to do it again
View Profile   IP Logged
pipeline

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2006, 9:07pm

I have solved problem 2 by setting OPTION gmindc to a bigger value 1e-10. But I still wonder what the real problem is. Can anybody give explanation? Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
spiceoracle

USA
Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2006, 12:21pm

Without looking at your netlist, probably not.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.