The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 7:47am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What does fft actually mean? (Read 4410 times)
ee05s030

India
What does fft actually mean?
Jul 26th, 2006, 10:38pm

when we find the fft of some data, what does it actually mean? how can we get the the energy density spectrum ot power density spectrum from the fft output? what are the scaling factors needed?

View Profile   IP Logged
skippy

Re: What does fft actually mean?
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2006, 12:30pm

ee05s030 wrote on Jul 26th, 2006, 10:38pm:
when we find the fft of some data, what does it actually mean? how can we get the the energy density spectrum ot power density spectrum from the fft output? what are the scaling factors needed?

I assume you are talking about noise.  The noise spectral density has units of V^2/Hz.  At each measurement frequency, the noise is measured over the bandwidth around that frequency.  The bandwidth depends on the windowing function you use (my favorite is hanning) and the time period over which you are sampling.  This window helps to reduce the bleeding of a strong signal into the adjacent frequencies.  The bleeding occurs since the frequencies measured may not be periodic with the time period of measurements.

To get the power spectral density at a frequency, you divide the voltage measurement squared over the bandwidth.

So you basically take the rms voltage at a frequency from the fft, square it, and then divide over the bandwidth.  For noise, this rms voltage should have been averaged over several samples.  If you are using dB, then you would take 20*log of the measured rms voltage to get decibels with respect to 1 V^2.

Agilent has a really good app note which may be able to explain this better than me.  Let me know if you have any additional questions.

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: What does fft actually mean?
Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2006, 12:28am

fft is "FAST FOURIER TRANSFORM"
its ONE (standardised) algorithm for finding the spectral content of time domain information, base on Fourier Transform theory..

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.