The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 1:40pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Harder to converge in Monte Carlo sims??? (Read 4698 times)
PaulFerg

Harder to converge in Monte Carlo sims???
Aug 15th, 2006, 3:43pm

I'm a novice at Verilog-A, but I've got the book and I'm learning.  I'm using Spectre to simulate a DAC at the transistor level, and am using a Verilog-A block to generate "digital" stimulus for the transistors.  I'm using a transition statement to create a finite rise and fall time for my signals, but I continually get the error:

Convergence difficulties resulted in error requirements being unsatisfied.

The convergence errors come at the instant the transistion starts, as if the "corner" is too sharp, and the simulator can't handle it.  I was able to get around the problem for a while by slowing the transition from 100 ps to 300 ps, then inserting a simple RC filter at the interface. so it seems that it smooths the signal at the transistor inputs enough that they don't get lost.   But now I'm trying to run a Monte Carlo sim, and the error is back, and to the point where I can't complete a simulation.  I tried inserting a $discontinuity(1); after my @cross, and that helps, but I still get warnings, and each Monte Carlo run that actually manages to finish still takes 10 times as long to run as the reference Spectre one.

So, is there something inherently different about the Monte Carlo simulation that is causing problems?  Is there something special I should be doing at the output of a decoder to make it so I don't need the RC filters?  For now I plan to keep reading and hopefully I'll find that there is something I should be doing that I just haven't learned yet, but from what I understand, the transition statement should be enough.  

I'm open to suggestions...

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Harder to converge in Monte Carlo sims???
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2006, 6:17am

Can you post your Verilog-A module?

I assume you aren't trying to contribute in the @cross block, only setting a variable, which you then use in something like:
V(out) <+ transition(variable, ...);
which is executed unconditionally.

Why aren't you using a PWL source?  Not that V-A is bad, but it seems like overkill for what you're doing.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
PaulFerg

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2006, 7:13am

Here is the code for a thermometer decoder that takes a 7 bit binary or twos complement input and converts it to a 128 bit thermometer coded output.  Yes, I know that there are 256 output bits,  this is a work in progress so just ignore that part...

module therm8_256(out, ana_out, in);

output [255:0] out;
electrical [255:0]out;
input [6:0] in;
electrical [6:0] in;
output ana_out;
electrical ana_out;

parameter real vtrans = 1.65 from (-15:15);         // Digital clock switching voltage.
parameter real vout_low = 0.0 from [-15:15);       // Digital output low voltage
parameter real vout_high = 3.3 from (vout_low:15]; // Digital output high voltage
parameter real trise = 250p from (0:1m];           // Rise/fall time of digital outputs
parameter integer twosComp = 0 from [0:1];           // 1 if input is in twos complement
                                           // 0 if offset binary

integer in_value, i, out_value_sum;
real out_value[255:0];

analog begin
     generate i (6, 0) begin
     @(cross(V(in[i])-vtrans,0))
     $discontinuity(1);
     end // generate

in_value = 0;

if (twosComp == 0) begin            // read msb of input bits, offset binary
           if ( V(in[6]) > vtrans )
                 in_value =  in_value + pow(2,6);
           end // if twosComp

if (twosComp == 1 ) begin            // read msb of input bits, 2s complement
           if ( V(in[6]) < vtrans )
                 in_value =  in_value + pow(2,6);
           end // if twosComp            

generate i (0, 5, 1) begin            // read remaining input bits

if ( V(in[i]) > vtrans )      begin
                 in_value = in_value + pow(2,i);
           end //if

end // generate

out_value_sum = 0;

for (i=0; i < 256; i = i +1) begin      // write output value
           if( i < in_value) begin
                 out_value[i] = vout_high;
                 out_value_sum = out_value_sum +1;
                 end else out_value[i] = vout_low;            
     end // for

generate i (0, 255, 1) begin      // perform output transitions
           V(out[i]) <+ transition(out_value[i],0,trise);
     end // generate

V(ana_out) <+ transition(out_value_sum,0,trise);
     // end  // @      
end //analog

endmodule

View Profile   IP Logged
mady79

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2006, 8:08am

I think this could be because of zero delay in the transition statement .

View Profile   IP Logged
PaulFerg

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2006, 10:38am

I have been able to clear up all the errors by adding a clock line and only using the clock signal in my @cross statement.  I suppose that simultaneously switching inputs may have caused some confusion in the code execution.  I was hoping I wouldn't have to use a clock because I wanted to be able to simulate the effects of glitches due to timing mismatches in the input signals, but I suppose there are other ways to acheive that.  Thanks for your help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2006, 11:50pm

The problem may be because all six signals are crossing their thresholds at almost precisely the same time that the simulator is struggling to find a timestep small enough so that it can resolve each crossing. Perhaps if you add a loosened tolerance to the cross function.

Having a 0 delay in a transition function does not cause any problems.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.