The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 20th, 2024, 10:09pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulation for a NMOS-CAP (Read 14209 times)
kiran123
Community Member

Simulation for a NMOS-CAP
Sep 06th, 2006, 12:22am

Hi Experts,

I would like to do an analysis on NMOS-CAP attached herewith  what i try to do is DC capacitance that is viewd between terminals N1 and N2

can anybody suggest type of analysis to be done to get proper CV and IV characteristics in SPICE?

moreover for a good NMOS cap what would be ESR should it be low ?

apart from that could you please let me know is there anyway to find out ESR value for the attached figure from the SPICE simulation? if yes, what analysis has to be run ?

Thanks in advance for providing valueable information on this

Kiran

NMOS-CAP.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Simulation for a NMOS-CAP
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2006, 6:50am

The capacitance will be non-linear and frequency-dependent.  Most MOS models do not properly compute the frequency dependence of the capacitance, specifically in accumulation.  When there is an inversion layer, the charge can respond quickly.  Otherwise, the charge has to travel from the body and is quite slow.  The C-V curves for high and low frequency are generally presented in device physics books, as they are developing the theory of MOSFETs.

What I'm saying is: a spice simulation may not capture the correct C-V behavior.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
achim.graupner
Community Member

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2006, 10:52pm

Hi Kiran,

as you have asked to plot capacitance vs. voltage the best choice is an AC analysis with a swept DC parameter (possible with spectre). Do the following:
- draw a circut comprising of the capacitor under consideration and an voltage soucre where AC magnitude is set to 1 V
- select AC analysis, choose a frequency of 0.159 Hz (1/2/Pi), sweep the DC volage of the capacitor
- measure the imaginary part of the AC current of one of the terminal of the voltage source
- the reciprocal value of this current is the capacitance
(remember: I = U*j*omega*C = U*j*2*Pi*f*C), as we have chosen U=1V and f=1/2/Pi Hz: C = imag(I)/1V/1Hz)
this simulation gives you the an estimate for the DC capacitance. As Geoffrey has mentioned, the capacitance is not independend of the frequency.

Regards,
Achim

Achim Graupner
ZMD AG, Dresden, Silicon Saxony, Germany
View Profile   IP Logged
kiran123
Community Member

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2006, 9:53pm

Hi Geoffrey,
      How can i see frequency dependant MOS capacitance ( what simulation deck i should use) because i have done some AC analysis to find out capacitance based on series RLC circuit concept
 i have made known value of R and L inseires with MOS cap as shown earlier and impressed 1.2V DC as MOS operating voltage is 1.2 V (this is to ensure it operates in strong inversion region) and given AC magnitude of 1mV with wide range of freequency sweep , ther i observed Ipeak at some freequency and using this value i calculated the CAP = 1/[(2*pi*fc)**2 *L]

is there any draw back of this procedure to know cap

as you mentioned MOS capacitance is freequncy dependant how will i get  Freq Vs Cap what kind of simulation i should do  

Achim,
   what is the intesion of you suggesting to do simulations at 1Hz is it because of i wanted DC Cap value?

hey one more thing i wanted help on SPICE/Spectre simulation to extract ESR value of MOS

i thought of doing this in below methods but nothing did not work for MOS(active device)

1) VDD/Ileackage   (i know this si not currect and ended with wrong results )
2) added a known R value inseries with MOS cap configuration and given A DC of 1.2V and did transient analysis to plot V(N1) or V(N2) none of them are rising or falling instead 0sec it already reached steady state value

do you people have any better idea of extracting ESR of semiconductor device (MOS) if so please let me know it really helps me lot

thanks
Kiran

View Profile   IP Logged
achim.graupner
Community Member

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2006, 11:34pm

Hi Kiran,

>  what is the intesion of you suggesting to do simulations at 1Hz is it because of i wanted DC Cap value?
because C = imag(I) / (U*2*Pi*f)
when chosing f=0.159Hz  and U=1V then imag(i) readily delivers the capacitance
this frequency is close enough to DC, for f=0Hz the above computation can not be carried out

>  How can i see frequency dependant MOS capacitance
use the above expression C = imag(I) / (U*2*Pi*f) and see what the modelling guys have done, you may carry out this simulation for various DC values

> 1) VDD/Ileackage   (i know this si not currect and ended with wrong results )
in contrast to the above abalysis the leakage current is a DC parameter and therefore can not be analyzied with an AC simulation

>  2) added a known R value inseries with MOS cap configuration and given A DC of 1.2V and did transient analysis to plot V(N1) or V(N2) none of them are rising or falling instead 0sec it already reached steady state value  
I have not understood this question

Regards, Achim

Achim Graupner
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2006, 6:09am

kiran123 wrote on Sep 11th, 2006, 9:53pm:
      How can i see frequency dependant MOS capacitance ( what simulation deck i should use) because i have done some AC analysis to find out capacitance based on series RLC circuit concept

I just did a sim using some 0.18u models (BSIM4), sweeping VG (all other terminals grounded) and plotting the imaginary current into the gate (divided by 2*pi*f).  Regardless of the ac analysis frequency (1 or 1e9), the curve matches the "low frequency" mos capacitor curve from my textbook: it is (close to) COX for at both ends of the sweep, dropping down in the middle near the threshold voltage.

In order to see the real high-frequency behavior, one must use a non-quasi-static MOS model.  I tried setting ACNQSMOD=1 in my .model card, but it didn't give me a result I believed.

Quote:
hey one more thing i wanted help on SPICE/Spectre simulation to extract ESR value of MOS

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the acronym ESR.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kiran123
Community Member

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2006, 6:52am

Hi Achim,

> 1) VDD/Ileackage   (i know this si not currect and ended with wrong results )
in contrast to the above abalysis the leakage current is a DC parameter and therefore can not be analyzied with an AC simulation

sorry i forgot to mention it is DC analysis done on NMOS cap connected to V (DC) printing the Imax (V)

>  2) added a known R value inseries with MOS cap configuration and given A DC of 1.2V and did transient analysis to plot V(N1) or V(N2) none of them are rising or falling instead 0sec it already reached steady state value  
I have not understood this question

this is another method to find inherent resistance of NMOS connected in CAP fashion
here i attached the figure which shows the setup (whre V is DC )and i have done transient simulation such that Voltage across cap actually should rise to 98.2% V in T1= 4(RC) and thereby finding
inherent series resistance Rs = [T1*(C/4)]-R

but i have not seen any rising Voltage across NMOS cap

anyway thanks for your comments
kiran

MOS_RC_circuit.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
achim.graupner
Community Member

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2006, 7:05am

Hi Kiran,

you method described will be quite inaccurate. In order to see the resistive part just plot 1/real(I) after the above AC simulation, remember the complex resistivity of an RC combination is Z = R + 1/(j*omega*C). But I am not sure whether the value you get will have any relation to reality neither that you measure any resistive part at all. But have a try.

In order to get the desired voltage rise you need either to set an initial condition for the voltage across the capacitor or to use an pulse source (vpulse)

Good luck,
Achim

Achim Graupner
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.