The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem with operating region warning control (Read 2434 times)
AnalogAroma
Community Member

Germany
Problem with operating region warning control
Sep 20th, 2006, 9:03am

Hi All,

I  have simulated a fully differential HBT amplifier with cascode  transistors  for avoiding Miller effect.  The simulator is Spectre 5.0  and the HBT models are VBIC 1.15. In order to find  the input swing range ,  I have done a dc sweep of  differential signal using the Kundert's testbench (http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/diff.pdf ).  And  
checked the operating points  of  the  NPN cascose transistors. When the vbc is  99.48 mV and vbe is 912.1 mV , the cascode transistor is in forward active region ( region 1).
But when the vbc is  99.62 mV and vbe is still 912.1 mV , the transistor moves into  saturation region ( region 3). This is quite amazing since  in the HBT  model file  ,the B-C  forward
voltage ( vbcfwd ) is set to 200mV.  

It seems to me that Spectre does not use the "vbcfwd" parameter for giving warning about operating region. Am I right ?  For our current project , we wish to allow vbc as high as 400 mV and still the HBT transistor will be physically in the forward active region. How can we  pursuade the Spectre to think like us  ? I mean, which parameter in the VBIC model  should I change ?

With Regards,

Analog Aroma

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Problem with operating region warning control
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2006, 11:12am

I don't have time to dig into the model equations and answer your question about what the parameters do, but if you wanted to have some additional warnings about ranges of operating region, you can always use the assert capability in spectre. Type spectre -h assert for more details.

Hopefully somebody else may have some bandwidth to answer the detailed model question.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Problem with operating region warning control
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2006, 3:19am

vbcfwd is not a standard VBIC model parameter; it must be something that Cadence added when implementing the model.

Andrew: you'll need to find someone in Cadence who can look at how that parameter is handled to see if it is done properly.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.