The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:32am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
problem with cccs in analogLib in spectre (Read 4015 times)
ethan
Community Member

problem with cccs in analogLib in spectre
Sep 28th, 2006, 11:51am

Hi everybody again,

I have tried to use "cccs" in spectre to build the ideal current amplifier. I am working in schematic in Cadence and doing simulation through Analog Simulation Environment. I have no problem with this.

The problem occurs when I add the ideal current amplifier with other NMOS and PMOS transistors in schematic and do simulation. The spectre always complains that some NMOS and PMOS vgs and vgd are beyond breakdown voltages. I know this is caused by the ideal "cccs". But I don't know how to fix it.

This kind of errors also happened for other ideal sources, like "ccvs", "vccs", "vcvs", etc.

I am wondering whether there is a way to combine ideal "cccs" or "ccvs" sources with real NMOS and PMOS spectre symbols to do simulation and have no such errors, such as vgs or vgd beyond breakdown voltages.

Appreciate your help.

ethan

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: problem with cccs in analogLib in spectre
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2006, 3:23am

I'd expect trouble with a cccs and MOS devices, since they have no gate current.  A ccvs should be OK.  You might want to investigate the min and max parameters for the controlled source, or be sure you have feedback to prevent large inputs from causing trouble.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.