The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:07pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IC reverse engineering (Read 8941 times)
topquark
Community Member

Thames Valley, UK
IC reverse engineering
Jan 04th, 2007, 1:53am

Hello folks

Had been musing over this for a while now..
what exactly does reverse engineering mean in the context of IC design. Does it really involve putting a new competitor's IC under micrograph, identify layout of any block, derive its schematics and analyze??!!

Are there really any job profile out there for this kind of stuff?!!
It'd be nice to hear experts views on this.

Regards,
Gau

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: IC reverse engineering
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2007, 2:33am

In large companies stories are rife that there are groups which do this. Although this might have been the case 10 years ago, I doubt it still happens so much now due to the complicated multi-metal processes of today.
Previously I have looked at competitor chips at a probe station to identify topolgies and try to work out what was going on from a higher level point of view.... it ain't easy and to be honest little was gleaned, and I'd have been better off spending the time doing developing my own designs....
Having said this, it would be enlightening to hear if people still attempt reverse engineering on modern processes from purely looking at fabricated chips.... if somehow someone had your gds2 then thats a different story...

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2007, 5:52am

I think there are still companies out there that, in fact, do deprocess chips to figure out how they work.

Some of this sort of work is used to determine if patent infringement has occurred.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
qiushidaren
Community Member

I am a lovely
MOSFET!

Chengdu
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2007, 6:22pm

Actually I am doing reverse engineering right now, I think for a newbie in analog IC design, reverse engineering is the first step for you to get it started.

-Terry

Croaker

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2007, 1:55pm

Well, reverse-engineering is what you're doing anytime you are trying to understand a design you didn't create out of the blue! Wink

Chipworks, a Nortel spin-off is a well-known reverse-eng company.  I think they can basically photograph the chip and some software figures out the layout and schematics.

As Alan says, I'm not sure how big a competitive advantage it is to do this...maybe just to see if there's any big 'aha' that you're missing.  I think it'd be most useful for resolving legal disputes.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2007, 3:22pm

http://www.chipworks.com/default.aspx

See above link - It is a business, they are one of the bigger players, and a lot of quiet behind the scenes stuff happens as well.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
xn47

Japan
Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2007, 6:28pm

I also have a reverse project right now.. I have here an attachment of double base npn transistor..

npndouble_base.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.