The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:01pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Measurement (Read 3041 times)
rf_jay

Power Measurement
Jan 04th, 2007, 4:34am

How do i measure RF power (in dBm) in the cadence environment at the output of a block?
the output has no port connected. (only load cap of the next block.)

i tried with PSS analysis, but it requires us to feed in Resistance value.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Power Measurement
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2007, 2:50am

Use Outputs->To Be Saved->Select on Schematic and select the terminal of the capacitor connected to the output net. This will then save the current through the terminal of the capacitor - I'm assuming that the voltage on the net will be saved anyway (either by saving all voltages, or by you explicitly saving it).

After running the simulation, on the direct plot form, select power. Then choose "Select: Terminal" and select the capacitor terminal as prompted. You could also choose "Select: Instance with 2 terminals" and then select the capacitor instance as prompted.

In essence you need to save both the current and the voltage, and then the power can be computed. With a port or a resistive load, you can get away with only saving voltage, as the power can be computed from the voltage and the resistance of the load; with more complex loads, you need to measure both the voltage and the current in order to compute the power.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.