The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 11:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Return value of $fscanf depends on Spectre version (Read 768 times)
Daniel_Platte

Munich/Germany
Return value of $fscanf depends on Spectre version
Feb 02nd, 2007, 5:29am

Hi NG!

I just experienced a strange problem with the $fscanf-statement:

The return value of the function seems to be inconsistent between different Spectre versions: While version 6.1. returns -1 for EOF and 1 otherwise (C-like?), version 5.1 returns 1 (for EOF) and 0 instead...

Was this changed intentionally or might it be a bug? How to resolve this problem and write 'version-independent' models?

Cheers,
Daniel

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Return value of $fscanf depends on Spectre ver
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2007, 5:47am

The 1364-2005 Verilog Language Reference Manual says (17.2.4.3):

The number of successfully matched and assigned input items is returned in code; this number can be 0 in
the event of an early matching failure between an input character and the control string. If the input ends
before the first matching failure or conversion, EOF is returned. Applications can call $ferror to determine
the cause of the most recent error (see 17.2.7).

It sounds like 6.1 complies with the current LRM.  I see similar wording in 1364-2001, but 1364-1995 doesn't even seem to have $fscanf.  Since V-AMS is based on 1364-1995, the fact that it runs at all means some extensions were added in Spectre.

You might be able to work around this if EOF would be defined appropriately in the different versions, as long as you test for equality with "EOF" and not with "-1"

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Return value of $fscanf depends on Spectre ver
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2007, 4:09pm

This was an intentional change. I saw this on an internal update presentation on things that were changed - the change was done to be compliant with the LRM (and it's more useful that way too!)

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.