The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 9:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Spectre Help on initial values (Read 5957 times)
kiran123
Community Member

Need Spectre Help on initial values
Feb 21st, 2007, 6:03am

Hi Experts,
 Can anyone of you tell us on how to give an initial condition for vsource/isource  or any passive components in spectre ? because i wanted in one senario where i initially wnated to force some voltage and current value at some nodes and then do a DC analysis with the existing DC sources which i declared in body of simulation deck.

by the way is there any possibility of giving stimulus of pulse type with specified format say "1001110" where i can define pulsewith of pulse and tr and tf

i can do this with pwl but the definiing will be very lengthy when it comes to long 1's and 0's format

Thanks for your support
Best Regards
Kiran Kumar

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Need Spectre Help on initial values
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:49am

An initial condition for a vsource or isource is rather meaningless - it's implicitly defined by the source itself.

For capacitors and inductors you can specify an initial voltage or or current (see "spectre -h capacitor" or "spectre -h inductor" and look at the ic parameter). Alternatively you can use spectre's nodeset or ic statement (spectre -h nodeset or spectre -h ic) to do this kind of thing on particular nodes (say).

As for the bit type stimulus, you can do that:

Code:
//

vsource (1 0) vsource type=bit val0=0 val1=1 rise=1n fall=1n period=10n data="101100101"
r1 (1 0) resistor r=1k

tran tran stop=150n 

Best Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
achim.graupner
Community Member

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2007, 11:39pm

Dear Kiran,

as regards your 2nd question "0101..." the best thing is to use a verilogA-Model. If you have a discrete timing you can use the
always @ (timer())-Statement to write a variable and the
transistion-Statement to drive the output. If this description is to short for you. please let me know, I will look for an example for you.

Another possibility is to (automatically) create a VerilogA-Modell from the .vcd-output of a digital simulator. This is helpful if the required waveforms are complicated and do not change between different analog simulations. I have a script available which does this conversion. I can provode it if you like.

Achim

Achim Graupner
ZMD AG, Dresden, Silicon Saxony, Germany
View Profile   IP Logged
kiran123
Community Member

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2007, 6:58am

Achim,

if there is another way declaraion, Yes, i would like more explanation on defining that
So could please expalin me on how to define with an example how Mr.Andrew suggested

Best Regards
Kiran Kumar

View Profile   IP Logged
kiran123
Community Member

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2007, 6:29am

Andrew,

Thanks for your reply but when used the same statement i am getting error message as shown below
could you please let me know what needs to be done . One thing is i remember this is SPICE format of declaration so it would be helpful if you tell me what modification should i do to suppress this error

Notice from spectre during hierarchy flattening.
   vsource: Invalid enumeration `bit' used as value of parameter `type'.  Ignored.
Error found by spectre during hierarchy flattening.
   vsource: Waveform type must be specified if any waveform parameters are given.

spectre terminated prematurely due to fatal error.

Thanks & Best Regards
Kiran Kumar

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2007, 7:34am

Kiran -
I think you need a newer version of the simulator.  I see "bit" is not available in IC5.1, but is available in MMSIM6.1.  Andrew can probably tell you which exact version it was added in.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2007, 6:34am

It was added in MMSIM6.1 as Geoffrey suggested.

Note, it's not currently a choice in the analogLib vsource/isource/port components - PCR (Product Change Request) 952356 has been filed to get that implemented.

Regards,

Andrew.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.