The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:49am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is the search exhaustive? (Read 4963 times)
mg777

Is the search exhaustive?
Mar 05th, 2007, 3:14am

Please refer to:
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1173032865/0#2

Maybe YaBB has some option settings for making the search exhaustive.

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Is the search exhaustive?
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2007, 7:50am

If you click on the Seach button (the one that says "Search" -- not the search box in the upper right), then you get to an "advanced search" page that allows you to specify some options, like whether to search only in subjects or also in bodies, and how far back to go.

I'd be interested to know what the defaults are for the search box.  It would be nice if the results from the search box could tell you that, or give you a button to expand the search.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Is the search exhaustive?
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2007, 8:02am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Mar 5th, 2007, 7:50am:
I'd be interested to know what the defaults are for the search box.  It would be nice if the results from the search box could tell you that, or give you a button to expand the search.

So, I had a look at the page source, and found the defaults for the search box: look in subject and body, one result per thread, all boards, all users, etc.

One thing puzzled me: the default "age" is "31", which, when I look at the source for the advanced search page, indicates a search of posts in the last month.  However, when I put "noise" in the search box, I got a result from Jan 16, which is more than a month ago.

It appears this is a glitch the YaBB software: that particular thread has a more recent post (Feb 8) that meets the date restriction, but the search term doesn't appear there.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.