The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 11:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why does substrate current so large?? (Read 2556 times)
zhangjerome
Community Member

Why does substrate current so large??
Mar 18th, 2007, 8:33pm

I am now designing a CML D latch biased with cascoded current source. With transient simulation, the drain current and source current of the common-gate transistor in the current source differs from each other by about 400uA. I checked the node current and found out that the current goes to B node.

The substrate of the transistor is grounded, and the transistor is in active region. I totally have no idea how
this coulde happen.

Is this a model problem or simulation problem? Or there is something wrong with my circuit??

Thanks, bow~~

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Why does substrate current so large??
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2007, 4:17am

Can you run a dc sweep across the active operating region, corresponding to the operating point of the transient?  You should use this to determine if the current is dc (caused by impact ionization -- or dc diode current, if you have a pmos where you thought you had an nmos because of a severe modeling problem) or if the current is capacitive (s/b or d/b diode capacitances charging/discharging during transient might cause a "glitch" in current -- how long does the large body current persist?).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
zhangjerome
Community Member

Re: Why does substrate current so large??
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2007, 6:55am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Mar 19th, 2007, 4:17am:
Can you run a dc sweep across the active operating region, corresponding to the operating point of the transient?  You should use this to determine if the current is dc (caused by impact ionization -- or dc diode current, if you have a pmos where you thought you had an nmos because of a severe modeling problem) or if the current is capacitive (s/b or d/b diode capacitances charging/discharging during transient might cause a "glitch" in current -- how long does the large body current persist?).

Thank you. I now know that it's bacause of the large voltage swing at the drain node and the current is capacitve.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.