The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 7:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to plot I-V C-V curve of MOS using Spectre (Read 10928 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
How to plot I-V C-V curve of MOS using Spectre
Mar 28th, 2007, 1:31am

Hi, Guy,

I have a fool question, how to plot I-V C-V curve of MOS transistor using Spectre? I used to run simulation using HSPICE. Sad

BTW, I think a good manual is important for engineers. Would you please recommend any manual or books about Spectre?

Thanks
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: How to plot I-V C-V curve of MOS using Spectre
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2007, 5:13am

Put in a "save" statement to get the capacitances:
 save m1:all

You can also run an ac analysis with a swept dc bias
 ac1 ac freq=0.1591549 dev=vd start=0 stop=1.8
which sets the frequency to 1/(2 pi) such that imaginary currents are exactly equal to the capacitances.  (You do have to look out for internal resistors, though, which will distort the results.)

For *using* Spectre, the built-in help (spectre -help) is good enough for me; Ken did write the Designer's Guide to Spice and Spectre if you want to know more about the internal workings.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
John O Donovan

San Jose, CA
Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2007, 9:51am

Hi,

Off topic, but Spectre has a set of builtin mathematical and physical constants that can be used in expressions. Run "spectre -h constants" to get the list.

(1) % spectre -h constants
M_E             2.7182818284590452354           exp(1) = e
M_LOG2E         1.4426950408889634074           log2(e)
M_LOG10E        0.43429448190325182765          log10(e)
M_LN2           0.69314718055994530942          ln(2)
M_LN10          2.30258509299404568402          ln(10)
M_PI            3.14159265358979323846          pi

So you could use "freq=1/(2*M_PI)" in the ac analysis.

Regards,
 John

View Profile   IP Logged
imd1

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2007, 1:41am

Do you know if it's possible to use similar built-in constants in ELDO or HSPICE ?
I find this rather useful, and I've been looking for a way to automatically obtain the thermal voltage during a simulation.

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2007, 9:07am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Mar 28th, 2007, 5:13am:
Put in a "save" statement to get the capacitances:
 save m1:all

You can also run an ac analysis with a swept dc bias
 ac1 ac freq=0.1591549 dev=vd start=0 stop=1.8
which sets the frequency to 1/(2 pi) such that imaginary currents are exactly equal to the capacitances.  (You do have to look out for internal resistors, though, which will distort the results.)

For *using* Spectre, the built-in help (spectre -help) is good enough for me; Ken did write the Designer's Guide to Spice and Spectre if you want to know more about the internal workings.

Yes, this is a very good tip, assuming the resistance is low.  Also, you can use the CAPTAB option to get the node caps at an operating point.  Is there any way to do a DC sweep and plot the CAPTAB results for a node, similar to the 'save m1:all' tip?

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2007, 1:36am

Hi, Geoffrey,

I use save m1:all. However, may I save them in analog design environment? Furthermore, how to plot them in wavescan?

Thanks
yawei

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2007, 6:22am by ywguo »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2007, 7:39am

I don't use the analog design environment, nor wavescan, actually.  But I know other threads on this forum have covered plotting "gm" in wavescan, and I would expect the capacitances to work the same way.  You might have to look out for problems like "m1" being a subcircuit, so that the actual device that has the operating-point info is "m1.m"

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Croaker

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2007, 9:53am

Yes, you can pull up the results browser and put the results into the calculator to plot the dc op stuff vs. whatever.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2007, 7:53am

To answer the question about saving them in ADE, you need to create a text file and put the save statement(s) in there, and then include this file in the simulation. The simplest way of doing this is to use Setup->Model Libraries and reference the file there (Model Libraries are effectively any spectre syntax file - they don't necessarily have to be models).

Regards,

Andrew.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.