The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 12th, 2024, 11:35am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can I group a bus? (Read 4336 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Can I group a bus?
Apr 09th, 2007, 12:24am

Hi, Guys,

I simulate a thermometer encoder using Spectre in analog design environment. The graph tool is wavescan. For. eg., the encoder has 64 output, can I group the bus and display it in binary mode?

Thanks
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Can I group a bus?
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2007, 7:31am

Assuming you have a bunch of voltage waveforms, one for each bit, then this is what you do:

1. Plot all the voltage waveforms, and then select them all.
2. Select the a2dDialog icon
3. On the form that pops up, you can then enter the thresholds for converting these to digital signals (either a single threshold or a high/low threshold). You can choose where to plot the new signals.
4. Having got your new digital signals, you can select them and convert them to a bus. You may want to drag them around first so they're in the right order, or use ctrl-select to select them one at a time in the right order. Then use the Create Bus Icon.
5. A form will appear (you'll probably want to expand it, and drag the signal column to be wider, so you can see which bit is which) and click on the Bit column if the bus is in the wrong order. Choose the radix you want, and where to plot it, and hit OK.
6. You can then do fun things like select the resulting bus, and convert it back to Analog (using Busses output as Analog Voltage) so you can see an analog representation of the bus waveform.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2007, 8:03am

Andrew,
    How is the waveform tool interpreting the data on the bus? Is it really capable of properly decoding a thermometer code?

-Ken

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2007, 8:07am

Ken,

Well, if converting a set of bits into a bus, then this is just representing it as a simple bus - not doing any encoding. I was assuming that was what was wanted here.

That probably doesn't matter, unless you're trying to then represent that bus as an analog waveform (step 6 in my previous post) - for thermometer coding that wouldn't be terribly useful.

Regards,

Andrew.

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2007, 10:25am

Andrew,
    You might want to pass on to the display tool development team that different types of decoding would be very useful. In my experience, analog designers often use binary, two-complement, gray, and thermometer codes.

-Ken

ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2007, 11:37pm

Hi, Andrew,

Thank you. I did it as what you said. It's easy to use.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.